Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Yellow pleco identification
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
turtleman29
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.04.23(Mon)7:28    Post subject: Yellow pleco identification Reply with quote

I just got a yellow pleco from my dad's friend and I am wondering what type of pleco it is. It is about a foot long. Could it be albino? I will try to send pics, but probably can't. Please send pics of plecos it could be. thanks. All help is appreciated.
aberdufi
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.04.23(Mon)8:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the coloring look like this:

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/1394751537074149416JPDpKe

or this:

http://www.neptuneaquatics.com/images/Ancistrus%20sp%20Longfin%20Albino.jpg

or these:

http://www.pleco.de/ancistrus/albino/bilder_ancistrus_sp_albino.htm

If so, yes that would be albino. If you could post a pic, it would help us tell you exactly what kind of pleco it is. Also, since it is such a large fish, please make sure you are housing it in a very large tank. I looked in your profile and I didn't see what size tank you have, but I just thought I would mention it. Wink
turtleman29
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.04.27(Fri)10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes my pleco looks like the first pic u sent me. It is in a 30 gallon fish tank. Please write back:)
aberdufi
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.04.27(Fri)11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have the hi fin on the back? The first pic I posted was of an Albino Marble Sailfin Plecostomus. I don't know a whole lot about this species, but the gallery to the left on this forum states that this fish should be housed in a minimum of 250 liters (66 gallons).

If I were you, I would take a peek at the gallery and look through some pics of the different types of Plecostomus so you know exactly what kind you have. Most of them get very very large, and are huge waste producers, and really need very large tanks. I read recently on this board that the minimum for a full grown common plecostomus is recommended at 100 gallons. Even if your fish is not quite full grown, you could be stunting it by having him in a smaller tank, which is not good.

However, there are species that are suitable for a 30 gallon. The Bristlenose, Pittbull, and the Rubber Lip pleco are some, as they do not get as big as the other types.

Let us know what type you think you have, so we can know if the 30 gallon is OK for him Wink . If it turns out he is of the larger species, you could always trade him in for one of the smaller kinds, or upgrade your tank size.

Good luck, and feel free to post any more questions you may have! Very Happy
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: