Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
my 33 gallon planted tank
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
DF Bobo
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.10.15(Mon)14:45    Post subject: my 33 gallon planted tank Reply with quote

originally, I was going to post a journal, but then my internet was down and so much time has passed that I won't remember all the details, so this will just be some pictures with occasional updates.

here is my tank today

some pics of my siamese algae eaters (Crossocheilus siamensis)

Fishlova
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.10.15(Mon)20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I like how it looks so clean and clear. What sort of lighting do you have?

http://au.youtube.com/Fishlova82
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.10.16(Tue)0:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Very Happy

Is that hygrophilia in the middle? Looks very nice Smile
DF Bobo
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.10.16(Tue)14:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

closeups of the plants

Hygrophila polysperma

Cryptocoryne wendtii

more pictures and tank info to come

that is H. polysperma in the middle, doing well (will have to trim it soon).

my lighting came with the tank, so I didn't have to spend a lot of money. it's 2 20 watt tubes, 1 5000k and the other 18000 k. not necessarily ideal from what you read on the internet, but it's worked well for me as the plants started out quite small. when I replace them next year, I will use full spectrum and cool white tubes.

currently, I am having some algae problems though.

eventually I want to keep a small school of boesemani rainbowfish (Melanotaenia boesemani)

Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.10.17(Wed)1:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thought so. The plants look very good, and those crypts are quite large.

Bosemans are great fish, I was tossing up between them, neon rainbows and harlequin rosboras (decided to go for the Harlequins). I think all rainbows have magnificant colour Smile
Skittles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.10.17(Wed)10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow your plants look great! I can't grow hydrophila polysperma to save my life! My lighting is probably to low (only a 20 watt bulb)
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.10.24(Wed)13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great! I was gonna say: "Where's your algae???" but you beat me to it. Laughing

10G planted: black neons, 1 female guppy
6G planted: Java Fern farm
DF Bobo
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.10.24(Wed)14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, here is basically a summary of all the pitfalls I had prior to where this tank is at today

I started to plan the details of this tank in January and I knew I really wanted to do a planted tank. I did all the necessary research and planned out an aquascape.

I was originally going to go with a lighting system with 1.8-2 WPG but lighting equipment here is CRAZY expensive so when I saw a kit setup with 2 20 watt tubes, I bought it knowing I probably would not find a cheaper source of lighting. even though it only gave me 1.2 WPG, it was pretty good as far as these kinds of lighting systems go.

I planned to use a substrate like flourite but I couldn't find it and when I did find it, it was really expensive, so I decided to just use tablet substrate fertilizers and plain gravel since I was on a tight budget. I later realized that I was spending less than I originally anticipated and in hindsight, it was probably better value to just get the flourite, but by then the plants were in and I decided to just let it go and see how well it works.

here is the tank the day I planted it

I planted with hygrophila polysperma, h. corymbosa "siamensis", Ceratopteris thalictroides, Cryptocoryne wendtii "mi oya" and anubias barteri.

at first the plants did fine. they grew slowly, but they grew nonetheless and the hygrophila polysperma even developed a red tinge in it's leaves

however, the H. corymbosa "siamensis" did not grow well and started to develop whit leaves, so I dosed with flourish, about 2 ml a week. the plant is starting to recover but is still mot growing well. I think I might replace it for some vallisnerias which will do well in my hardwater conditions.

then one day, hair algae started growing along the back wall and brown algae grew on the leaves and substrate. I added 3 Crossocheilus siamensis to the tank. eventually, the algae did die off, but it was probably because the SAEs provided some nutrients for the plants to use.

sometime after I added the SAEs, I began moving the fish from my 20 gallon to this tank. I moved first the 3 gymnocorymbus ternetzi but they did not adjust to the tank and stayed in hiding due to the bright lighting, rarely coming out to eat, which basically puts my stocking plants to a halt until I can figure this out. also, fairly recently, some algae started to grow again. you can't really see it in th photos and it's not all over the place, but it is more than what would be natural. I attribute that to a nitrogen deficiency dur to the low stocking levels in the tank.

DF Bobo
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.11.02(Fri)15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

in an attempt to solve the problem of skittish tetras, I added some floating plants.

I don't know exactly what species it is, though the guy at the store identified tham as "water sprite" but especially with plants, you should never go by common names. based on my own identification, it is Salvinia sp.

Last edited by DF Bobo on 2007.11.03(Sat)6:24; edited 1 time in total
Petorama
Members

PostPosted: 2007.11.02(Fri)23:19    Post subject: Water lettus Reply with quote

DF Bobo wrote:
in an attempt to solve the problem of skittish tetras, I added some floating plants.

I don't know exactly what species it is, though the guy at the store identified tham as "water sprite" but especially with plants, you should never go by common names. based on my own identification, it is Salvinia sp.

now, something else, my Hygrophila corymbosa has not been doing well. it appears to be a nutrient deficiency and it hasn't been growing. I think that the next time I see some valisneria at the store, I'll pick up some to replace the hygro. they should do well in my system since I have hard water.

hi.. I wonder which species is this floating lovely plant! But I guess it is baby water lattues "pistia stratiotis which propagates like anything should the light be of an appropriate temp & wavelength!
http://www.obh.ae/aquarium/Albums/Album1/Source/Img_2789.htm is a picture of mine too but they are matured and truct me I've got tens of'em scattered all over the surface when they are babies Wink
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: