Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
AGA Mega-Flow Overflow Dangerous?
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.04.19(Thu)21:12    Post subject: AGA Mega-Flow Overflow Dangerous? Reply with quote

I just got a 90 gallon version of this tank, and I was looking at the overflow design with the little holes that go down the overflow. Say the power goes out... what keeps the tank from continuing to overflow into the sump? Sort of dangerous by the looks of it. Has anyone ever had any problems?
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.04.19(Thu)21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drainage in the event of a power outage is controlled by the height of the inner overflow pipe, that pipe also dictates the height of the water level in the tank. You will not drain much back if it is set up correctly and is the safest method for having a sump under the tank...you won't have any issues with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.04.19(Thu)21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, that makes a lot more sense. I haven't assembled mine yet because I don't have a stand, so I assumed that the overflow pipe stayed under the tank and didn't come up inside the aquarium.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.04.23(Mon)0:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike.
Take a look at the overflow box itself. There are two walls, an outer and an inner separated by about 3/8th of an inch. The outer wall has slots at the top and bottom - this allows the display to drain from different levels. The water then flows between the walls, up and over the second, inner wall. In the event of a pump stoppage the water won't drain past the height of the inner wall. You should be able to pop the outer wall off to see how it works.
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.04.23(Mon)8:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see it now. Now I just have to make enough RO/DI water to hit the drain pipe because apparently when they say 50 gallons per day, they mean about 25. Laughing
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.04.23(Mon)9:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

50 gpd is under ideal conditions...colder water temps and low pressure will greatly reduce your output.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: