Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
How Bad are API Test Kits?
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.04.18(Wed)18:50    Post subject: How Bad are API Test Kits? Reply with quote

I keep reading that Aquarium Pharaceutical Test Kits are inaccurate (mainly the calcium and nitrate ones), but others say they work okay. Do I really need to take back $100 worth of test kits because of two occasionally inaccurate test kits? Any input?
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.04.18(Wed)20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Personally I Do Not Use API because of thier horrible Accuracy. You Bought 100 Worth of em....What did u excatly buy I mean I use Aquarium Systems and Seachem.....Aquarium systems for pH Ammonia Etc and Seachem For Calcium and Alkalinty. What is your tank...a Fish Only.....Fowlr..or reef?
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.04.18(Wed)21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to be reef. I have a reef master kit and a saltwater master kit from them. As usual, prices where I live are MASSIVELY inflated. I'm used to it.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.04.19(Thu)2:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had any problem with my API nitrate test kit accuracy, and I've tested in tandem with my Salifert nitrate quite a bit. I get inaccurate results if I don't shake really well when it says to shake though. The thing is that API nitrate has a crap resolution, the lowest reading is 0-5ppm which can make a difference in a reef tank...the Salifert resolution is much much better at 0.2ppm. I now stick with API for freshwater and Salifert for saltwater.

Can't say anything about the calcium test kit, don't have that one.
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.04.19(Thu)8:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got my dad to bring the test kits in to exchange because we had to get a new light from there anyways. I still use API for freshwater. They are quick and easy, but I guess I won't even bother using them if people think they are inaccurate.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.04.19(Thu)13:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once tested the same water sample from my tank 3 times in a row and got 3 different readings with Aquarm. Pharm. kits. In my Opinion they are useless with saltwater. The only one I still use is a pH test and I only use it to check my pH controller. I stick with Salifert test kits now. Erroneous readings can drive you nuts and help you crash your tank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.04.19(Thu)21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the guy told my dad that he puts his reputation on those test kits, so my dad just left it at that. Kind of annoyed me, but I guess I'll just have to shake it well.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: