Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Lighting Question
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Ranzan
Members

PostPosted: 2007.04.18(Wed)18:32    Post subject: Lighting Question Reply with quote

Does any one know about any lights that can be hung from the roof or hang over top of the tank some how, I'm not planing on having a lid on the tank I'm building

Thanks
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.04.18(Wed)19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are going to want to look into pendant light fittings. There are many available and you can hook them up so they are hanging from the ceiling.

Andrew
SharkyX
Members

PostPosted: 2007.04.27(Fri)13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

They certainly do exist however you will have a few factors to contend with that you wouldn't having a hood or lid on the tank.

First and foremost your light fixture will have to be secured to your ceiling, so if you decided to move the fixture you will need to re-anchor it in the new location. Not a big thing but a potential pain later.

Other considerations are how much light do you want in the tank and how high up do you plan to put this fixture and of course what do you want the fixture to look like.
And of course the ever present, how much do you want to spend because if you've got the money all your other problems can go away.. its just a matter of $.

If you want to put very much light into your tank (since we're in the marine forum I'm assuming your after a marine tank) for things like corals you'll need a significant amount of lighting.
Of course the size of your tank will be relative to the amount of light.

Anyways if you mount your suspended light fixture very high up, without a reasonably tight distribution pattern, you will end up loosing a fair bit of your light to the floor around your tank.

I could ramble on for a very long time about lighting... so why don't you list what you're after and the type of tank you have.

I fyou just want something that looks nice suspended above and puts some light down into the tank just to make things show up though, you can find stuff that will do that almost anywhere.
Ranzan
Members

PostPosted: 2007.04.28(Sat)20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

its gona be a custom ray tank hopefully 2m is the length 1m is the width and 1 ft height its gona be low to the ground for viewing with open top so I want a suspended fixture
SharkyX
Members

PostPosted: 2007.04.29(Sun)6:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there going to be anything growing in the tank? or are you just after something to provide adequate lighting to show the rays off nicely?
Ranzan
Members

PostPosted: 2007.04.29(Sun)16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

just the for the rays nothin growing
SharkyX
Members

PostPosted: 2007.04.30(Mon)20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

How high up are you planning on going over the tank?
For just showing it off... 4 T8's would probably work OK... either 4 4ft T8 or 2 4ft T5HO...
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: