Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Kalkwasser
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.04.15(Sun)11:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete...you are also raising stonies...which require more additions, much different than a FOWLR tank, he just wants the levels OK for growing good coraline.

Kalk is balanced so once you get the target levels set it gets much easier. Kalk should provide what is needed for coraline growth. It is still extremely important to test the calcium, alk and magnesium. You cannot do this correctly unless you are testing the parameters. Dosing is not hard once you understand what is happening inside the tank and keep the levels correct. You will most likely discover that alkalinity or dkh is used much faster than calcium and mag isn't used as much as either but all of it works together. If one gets out of balance it will become difficult to get back in balance and keep in balance.

Read the articles, they will help tremendously.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
TheMorayMan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.04.15(Sun)11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks....I have the test equipment....and I jus ordered a Kent Aqua Dose to slowly drip it into my tank into the sump.....oh btw sirreal do u kno a good skimmer that works effeicently instead of the seaclowns....lol I need a better one I don't get any skimmate at all
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.04.15(Sun)11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a sump right? If so this has proven to be a very good skimmer for the money.

http://www.thereefstop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31_202&products_id=532
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
TheMorayMan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.04.15(Sun)12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

that looks good...I was thinkin about this one
http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=AC120M
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.04.15(Sun)12:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never have anything bad to say about the AquaC but the technology is becoming dated and there are much better skimmers out there. Recirculating needlewheels are still the best of current technology. I am on my 5th skimmer and my current recirculating needlewheel is what I should have got from day one but I had to learn as I went.

For the smallest bubble size and longest contact time, recirculating is the way to go. If you want bigger go with the octopus dnw200, it will easily take care of your messy eaters. Smile

http://www.thereefstop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=31_202&products_id=533

The Octopus has proven to be the best bang for the buck skimmer.
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.04.15(Sun)14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirreal63 wrote:
Pete...you are also raising stonies...which require more additions, much different than a FOWLR tank, he just wants the levels OK for growing good coraline.

Ah, I kinda glossed over the part where he mentioned it was FOWLR.

That said, I do find higher alk levels does promote faster coraline growth.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: