Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Kalkwasser
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
TheMorayMan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.04.13(Fri)14:34    Post subject: Kalkwasser Reply with quote

I would like to add Kalkwasser to my FOWLR but I need to ask one question...Do I Need A Seprate Buffer for it or does it have the buffer in the solution.....Also Does Iodine Promote Coralline Algae Growth becuase although my tank is a FOWLR I would like to have a lot of it and it hasn't grown to a great extent yet. Also I know the Kalkwasser Precipates Phosphate. Thnks...
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.04.13(Fri)15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

To correctly dose Kalk you first mix it in a fresh RO/DI water at the rate of 2 teaspoons per gallon and shake good and let sit overnight. It will precipitate out several things so what you do is draw the water from the container w/o taking any of the precip. out. This gives you pure limewater. Never add dry Kalk directly to the tank...it must be mixed in solution and then that solution must be slowly dripped into the system. Kalk will raise alkalinity, calcium and your pH. Rapid changes in pH are detrimental to the life in your tank, this is why you drip the kalk solution.

There is no need in adding iodine to your tank. Water changes will replace the small amount of it your tank needs.

To promote coraline growth...calcium needs to be about 400. alkalinity between 9 and 12 and magnesium between 1350 and 1500. There are no other ingredients needed to grow coraline except good lighting...no matter what someone tries to sell you. Test with quality test kits and keep the parameters as stated above and coraline will grow.

Kalk is a balanced additive, adding equal amounts of calcium and alkalinity and this is good if calcium and alkalinity are removed from your system at the same rate. This however is typically not the case as alk is usually removed at a much higher rate than calcium.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
TheMorayMan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.04.13(Fri)16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

so shud I buy a buffer like Seachem or do u know of one that is good...I also have in my tank as a substarte the Arag-Alive
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.04.13(Fri)16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to add buffers...your saltmix adds plenty. Depending on the buffer it could interfere with the Kalk. I would highly suggest before adding anything test your calcium, alkalinity and magnesium and make sure they are within the parameters above. If they are not then add the appropriate item to get it into range. If you do not test for it, do not add it.

I highly suggest you follow the guidlines set out here before dosing anything. Improper dosing can cause a crash.

http://reef.diesyst.com/

Read this article and understand it before dosing anything. Your tank must remain in balance, if you add something incorrectly you can really make a mess of things.
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.04.13(Fri)20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

To save money instead of buying commerical supplements which are made for marine aquariums use things like builders lime(Ca(OH)2) to make your kalkwasser to increase both your calcium and alkinity at once, Epson salts to increase your magnesium, baking soda(not powder) to increase your alkinity only and CaCl(here in aus we use a product called damp rid) to increase your Calcium only.

Also before you go increasing the Ca, alkinity or Mg levels get test kits for the three so you dose the right amounts.

Andrew
TheMorayMan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.04.14(Sat)11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool but how safe is using Epsom Salt and Baking Soda....any side efeects? form the Product....Wha is the dosage guidlines of Epsom Salt
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.04.14(Sat)11:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spend some time with the links I sent...they show you the appropriate quantity. Smile
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.04.14(Sat)23:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Cool but how safe is using Epsom Salt and Baking Soda....any side efeects? form the Product....Wha is the dosage guidlines of Epsom Salt

I know lots of people who added it to their aquariums just add it slowly, remember stability promotes success. As sirreal63 said check out the links he posted especialy http://reef.diesyst.com/

andrew
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.04.14(Sat)23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirreal63 wrote:
No need to add buffers...your saltmix adds plenty.

I disagree. I'm using Red Sea Salt and testing it after mixing showed that my alk levels were about half of what they should have been. I've been having to buffer my tank continually, especially after a water change.
TheMorayMan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.04.15(Sun)9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Reef Crystals Salt Mix....Claims they had higher amounts of Select Minerals Etc....Shud I buy a buffer.....or will like I said the Kalkwasser Raise Cal and Alk?
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: