Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Fishy Names?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Sirius
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.12(Mon)18:02    Post subject: Fishy Names? Reply with quote

I was wondering if any of your fish have names? If so, why did you choose the name for your fish? If not, why not?

Also, feel free to ask other people for their opinions on what to name your fish(like I did below)!

Oh, and I would like to ask for some help with picking a name for my betta! I was thinking of name ideas. I was going to choose a Greek letter, but that is too common. Then I remembered that I was watching this history channel program about the movie "300". I was thinking of using the name Xiphos, which is a type of short sword the Spartans used. What do you people think?
(I should be getting some pics of him up soon and I will post either a link to them or just post the actual pics!)
arachnar
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.12(Mon)19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

hhhmmmm,I don't name my fish and have never tried (maybe I should)they all just have a number to them and since I have so few I can tell them apart and know their personalities though this is mostly the rainbows
I too would love name suggestions
and to loki the greek word is cool or herbert ,henry ,

Jun
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.03.12(Mon)23:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have to say, the movie 300 was frikkin ay awesome. x3 Yes. Done now.

I always name my bettas. Always. Sometimes it's based on colour, sometimes attitude, etc. A short list of my most recent names:

Cassius -- Black and red orchid butterfly DDR CT. Most beautiful fish I've ever owned, also the most aggressive. Named Cassius because he was a literal disturber of the peace. He near tore off the entire tail of one of my danios (How he kept up with them, I don't know), menaced my pleco, and grabbed the leaf of a fake plant and tried to "kill" it. This, all in the first 15 minutes I had him in the tank. May he rest in peace.

Morpheus -- purple mustard pineapple DR CT. Named him Morpheus after the guy in the Matrix. x3 Because he would sometimes show aggression towards my other fish, and he'd always come in slowly from the top, then just zoom in like lightning. Reminded me of the sword. n_n

Titus -- Red and white marble butterfly DT. Named him Titus mostly for his size. :p Both his body size as well as his extra finnage make him look HUGE. He doesn't quite live up to the 'Titus' name, because he's quite mellow. :p

Lucius -- Bronze plakat. Named him for colour (Lucius = "light"), because he gives off a gorgeous blue-gold glow in the right light. :3 Also, it went with my current "Roman/Greek/Latin-ish" theme. :P

I just love naming things. :D It's one of my favourite parts of having pets. If I ever have kids, they will have completely weird names. I already feel bad for them. xDD

I like the Xiphos name, Loki. :3 Very neat. I almost named Morpheus Xerxes (Although I didn't know that name was in the 300 movie at the time. n_n''). Then again, names that start with X always get extra points, hehe. You could go a different direction, though. I always look on baby name webpages for names that carry meaning -- I looked up crown but didn't get much. I went from there and did 'king' and came up with 'Basilius'. Tried 'lord' and got Dominicus, etc. Other places to look are on Wikipedia, search for names of Roman emperors (This is what I do at times as well), Spartan kings... You could also go the direction of something like Greek gods and myths, although that's more typical. Egyptian pharaohs always turn out interesting names, too. x3 Tiberius, Severus, Cornelius, etc., are all names I've found there and liked. n_n

Lol, it's a long reply but they're just suggestions to throw out there... I love the name Xiphos, and that would be a great name for your CT. :D 'Specially since crowns are so pokey in general. xD Hehe. Can't wait to see pictures! :DD
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.03.14(Wed)14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always name my angelfish. I spend so much time with the fish that it only seems natural to give them a name. I chose names based on their physical qualities. Very Happy ...My friends think I'm crazy though...
Sirius
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.14(Wed)15:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainbowlover: What kind of fish need names? I'll help if I can!

Junbetta: I'll give the baby name sites a test. I tried wikipedia, but I couldn't find any. If I can't find anything I like better, I will probably go with Xiphos. BTW, all the names you mentioned sound awesome! Were they all for bettas?
arachnar
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.14(Wed)15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

weel loki my 3 rainbows a blue gourami ,golden barbs and a redtailed rasbora and a oto
the male boesemani rainbow is brightly colored and active and couting with female
female is my biggest rainbow and I love her a little boring sometimes
turquiose rainbow male-a real asshole but beautiful colors
2 female gold barbs and very rotound not fat though
2 barbs male
the redtailed rasbora is my oldest fish and very cool with untouched fins and a peaceful disposition
the oto is a very good algae eater

Sirius
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.14(Wed)16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one name came to me right away. Its for your Redtailed Rasbora because of how you described him. I would name him Shaman because he is the eldest of your fish and he is so calm. In Native American tribes, that is often what shamen are. They are also revered for their wisdom and such. Just my opinion.
arachnar
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.14(Wed)16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya know what I think I will name him shaman thanks

Jun
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.03.14(Wed)16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

lovin_loki wrote:
Junbetta: I'll give the baby name sites a test. I tried wikipedia, but I couldn't find any. If I can't find anything I like better, I will probably go with Xiphos. BTW, all the names you mentioned sound awesome! Were they all for bettas?

In that post, the only names I've actually used are Morpheus, Titus, Lucius and Cassius. n_n The rest were names that I found while I was searching for betta names and liked but didn't quite suit the fish I was naming, so I put them away in my brain for later use. n_n I could pull up a list of all my bettas (current and past) and their names, but I'm afraid that would be quite the list. @_@

I've also named my pearl gouramis. I now have a healthy trio of them -- Silas, a young male, and two small females, Sonya and Mia. n__n I also named my pleco -- "Stumpy." xDD
Sirius
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.14(Wed)18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainbowlover wrote:
ya know what I think I will name him shaman thanks

Glad I could help! Laughing

Junbetta: I found some other names that I might like, but I would like others' opinions!

Greek:
1. Argus
Meaning: Bright(he's pretty smart and he is brightly colored)
2. Calais
Meaning: Of Changeful Hue(my betta has irridescent scales)
3. Pheonix
Meaning: Blood Red(his tail is a bright red color)

Native American:
1. Enapay
Meaning: Courageous Appearance(I think that speaks for itself)
2. Misu
Meaning: Ripples in the Water(everytime he takes a breath, the water ripples)
3. Pallaton
Meaning: Fighter(again, speaks for itself)
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: