Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Easy to Breed Cichlids
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Serkan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.09(Fri)6:36    Post subject: Easy to Breed Cichlids Reply with quote

When I started with Cichlids, I kept researching and asking around for Cichlids which I could breed with ease. After a lot of research and practical experience I came up with a few. I hope this can help a few people with breeding cichlids.

Convict Cichlid - Archocentrus nigrofasciatus

By far the easiest cichlid to breed. These fish are not mouth brooders. They will easily form a pair and will usually begin breeding straight away. When breeding, convicts usually inhabit some sort of cave, usually represented by a terrecotta flower pot in the home aquarium. The female will lay the first batch of eggs while the male fertalises. This process is repeated until there are a total of 200 eggs give or take. During this process however, they do get very aggressive and caution is advised if the convicts are in a community tank. Convicts will guard their eggs vigourously. After 3-4 days the eggs will hatch and the new fry will feed on the yolk in their eggs for a few days before they being to swim freely. At this stage, feed the fry with baby brine shrimp or finely crushed flakes.

Jewel Cichlid - Hemichromis bimaculatus

The hardest part of breeding jewels is finding a pair. Once you've done that, the rest is simple. Jewels tend to colour up just before breeding exibiting a more red colour. The female spawns on a flat rock, or ornament. If this isn't found, jewels will usually clear away gravel to find a flat surface. After the eggs are laid, the jewels will alternate in fanning the eggs. After 3 days or so, the eggs should hatch. Baby brine and finely crushed flakes should be fed. Jewels tend to breed in batches of 3. First a large batch, then a medium batch and finally a small batch, so if possible remove the jewels 2 weeks after the fry hatch, so they can begin their next batch.

Electric Yellow Labido - Labidochromis caeruleus

As Thomas said earlier, there needs to be a ratio of around 1 male to 3 females for these fish to breed. Males can be told apart by there more distinct yellow and their black stripe. Relatively, there is little interaction between males and females throughout the breeding process. Females generally spawn on flat surfaces. Being mouthbrooders, they will take the eggs into their mouth, still unfertalised. At this point, the female will follow the male with her mouth close to the males anal fin. The male will then realease his sperm, and fertilise the eggs while they are in the females mouth. The eggs are rich with yolk, and the fry will absorb the yolk over a period of about 2.5-3 weeks before they need feeding. The fry are also kept in the females mouth for this period before they are realeased. The fry are relatively larger then other cichlid fry. Personally, I've only bred these fish once and got a little over 20 fry.

Anyway, apart from a couple others, this is basically what I know to be easily bred cichlids.

I'm interested in what others think are easily bred cichlids, and the process involved.

So... Anyone else want to contribute?

Last edited by Serkan on 2007.03.10(Sat)2:48; edited 2 times in total
Thomas
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.03.10(Sat)0:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

the electric yellow cichlid is quite easy to breed if you just get a ratio of 1 male to 2-3 females they should start to breed.
Serkan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.10(Sat)2:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh the electric yellow. There different to the other cichlids I've bred.

Electric Yellow Labido - Labidochromis caeruleus

As Thomas said earlier, there needs to be a ratio of around 1 male to 3 females for these fish to breed. Males can be told apart by there more distinct yellow and their black stripe. Relatively, there is little interaction between males and females throughout the breeding process. Females generally spawn on flat surfaces. Being mouthbrooders, they will take the eggs into their mouth, still unfertalised. At this point, the female will follow the male with her mouth close to the males anal fin. The male will then realease his sperm, and fertilise the eggs while they are in the females mouth. The eggs are rich with yolk, and the fry will absorb the yolk over a period of about 2.5-3 weeks before they need feeding. The fry are also kept in the females mouth for this period before they are realeased. The fry are relatively larger then other cichlid fry. Personally, I've only bred these fish once and got a little over 20 fry.

As I said earlier, I'm not to experienced with electric yellows, so if I've gone wrong anywhere, please do tell.
SinisterKisses
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.12(Mon)12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely any cichlid is easy to breed as long as you provide them with ideal conditions - proper tank habitat and size, water conditions, tankmates, food, etc.
Serkan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.13(Tue)19:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even Frontosa? They have to get really big.

Angels too, I can't stop them from eating the eggs.
SinisterKisses
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.13(Tue)22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now, that depends entirely on your definition of "really big". Those of us who keep monsters don't consider anything less than about 15" really big Wink

Yes, there are some that are more difficult than others, but as I said, with the proper conditions, any cichlid should be quite easy to breed. Smile
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.03.13(Tue)23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

These look like articles and requests to review.
Moved to Aqualounge as this is not a cichlid discussion.
Serkan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.14(Wed)2:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK no worries, all the more for discussion. But I don't bother with articles because whenever I do write up, and say its ready, It just sits there for a few weeks, with no one so much as reading it.
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: