Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
oscar lip piercings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Post new topic
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.03.07(Wed)9:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm totally against this and everything, but how many people here enjoy sportfishing? Catching a fish on a hook is the same thing, except about a million times worse (tugging on it). It's kind of hypocritical if you say that and sport fish.
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.03.07(Wed)15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micheal, you are offering a simple answer to a complex problem. While I won't disagree that having a hook through any fish's lip hurts horribly I find that there is a huge difference between pets and food.

It's unfair to say that people who fish for sport/food are incapable of caring about aquarium fish and what happens to them. Although the circumstances are quite different many sportfishers do go to great lengths to make sure they inflict as little harm on their catchs as possible. But the biggest reason I disagree with what you say has to do with choice. In the wild a fish does have a choice as to whether to bite a hook --- these Oscars had no choice at all.

And that video was disgusting.
ITHURTZ
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.07(Wed)15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

its just a peircing guys calm down
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.03.07(Wed)17:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In the wild a fish does have a choice as to whether to bite a hook

What??? Fish don't choose to bite hooks. They simply go after any available food. I see no difference between piercing a fish and pulling a fish up from a considerable depth on a hook.

No doubt that these people don't deserve to keep fish, but you are making it sound like fish chose to be fished.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.07(Wed)17:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

As someone pointed out, these fish were also sick with hole in the head.

They weren't kept up properly and in too small a tank, too many oscars for that size gallon aquarium.

Besides, why would you do this to a fish YOU have raised and cared for. Why would you put a fish you bought, raised, cared for, and love through that risk.
ITHURTZ
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.07(Wed)18:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

because its something different, I wouldnt mind putting in a lip ring on one of the fishes. I just don't want to take the risk or it getting caught on something etc
Sailbit
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.03.07(Wed)20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Fish don't choose to bite hooks. They simply go after any available food.

Yes, they do. The choice is made through a faulty distinction between "available food" and "trap". Anyone who has ever fished will be able to tell you how very many times fish are not fooled. Therefore they are capable of making a distinction, therefore if they don't they get caught. Fish don't choose to be fished --- but they do choose to bite, or not.

Quote:
I see no difference between piercing a fish and pulling a fish up from a considerable depth on a hook.

I was trying to explain my reason why there is a difference. You eat the one you pull up, or at the very least remove the hook so that it can heal and the fish will be able to eat without discomfort, without infection. Fishing is not simply shoving a metal piece through a fish's lip for aesthetics, as is piercing a fish.
ITHURTZ
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.07(Wed)20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh when your fighting to pull up a decent sized fish I highly doubt there is healing of the hook damage. Iv caught plenty of fish with rips in there jaws from hooks. Or how about the fish who swallow the hook and left with it in there?

You people need to grow up, Hooks go in, hooks go out, its what the world is all about. don't eat animals? Good Ill eat your share to. Fish see worm, worm looks good, fish eats worm, fish stupid cause hook now in the mouth. The end
mataderek
Members

PostPosted: 2007.03.07(Wed)21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a difference between pets and wild fish, I fish all the time I enjoy it and yet I really care for the fish in my tanks
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
ITHURTZ
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.07(Wed)21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should go fishing in my tank, who do you think would get the worm faster, my comets or tin foils?
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: