Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Freshwater or Saltwater?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
unissuh
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.03.06(Tue)2:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't decide actually, both fully planted and reef tanks look just as great as each other to me. I just love 'nano' tanks.

I have to comment that I don't really believe that you absolutely must keep a freshwater before you take the marine leap (even if marine is harder) - the methodologies differ so much. Of course, there are some parallels but those seem more like the minority to me...
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.03.06(Tue)17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both have their pro's and con's, freshwater is easier, cheaper and more user friendly. Freshwater is good to start with as it teaches you to get in the routine of keeping a tank healthy, teaches you to look for things that can be a problem, etc. I enjoyed planted tanks until I set up the saltwater, it is just more interesting, more of a challenge and more diverse. The reason more reef tanks look alike is most reefs share a common look, not exactly the same but common. Most of our tanks don't resemble a reef, there just isn't enough room for that unless you have a large cube. A wall of rocks isn't the norm, but large open areas are, it is hard to create that in a rectangle, hence the wall look. Aquascaping a reef is much harder than a planted tank.

There are also many ways to keep saltwater, softy tanks, anemone tanks, fish only tanks, sps tanks, lps tanks, mixed reefs. Not enough emphasis is placed on soft corals as they are beginner corals, as we grow we end up wanting the harder and more colorful items in our tanks. The expense can't be overlooked either, freshwater is very inexpensive and a full blown reef is a huge drain on the checkbook.

I like both but recently shut down my planted tank and am focusing on the sps dominated reef. Planted just wasn't enough of a challenge anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
ITHURTZ
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.06(Tue)22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

lake malawi fish plus fake coral and you got one hot want to be saltwater setup
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.03.06(Tue)22:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol...a poser tank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
ismellikefish
Members

PostPosted: 2007.03.11(Sun)3:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love both and am a very experienced with both...I find it hard to compare them..... but something about fresh water is more rewarding I dunno but I love salt too...
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: