Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Freshwater or Saltwater?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.05(Mon)2:48    Post subject: Freshwater or Saltwater? Reply with quote

What do you guys prefer?

For me I'd have to say saltwater looks much better (especially reef tanks), although freshwater is so easy to maintain compared to a reef tank. (I have both).
Heather R
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.03.05(Mon)15:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the look of saltwater tanks, but I have freshwater. I am not brave enough to try my novice hands at saltwater.
arachnar
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.05(Mon)16:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

would love a saltwater but a lot more complicated than freshwater,first more rainbows in a huge tank
then african cichlids
then maybe I'll hire a company to make a reef system aquarium for me,I know not very "hands on"but don't want to risk disaster

Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.03.05(Mon)17:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really pick one over the other. IMHO, a well planted and aquascaped freshwater tank can look just as impressive as a well-cared for reef tank.
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.03.05(Mon)17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Pete. They are two totally different styles and it's hard to pick and choose as far as how they look.

At the same time, my personal preference for maintaining aquariums would be freshwater planted. I really like the look of plants and I enjoy mixing two hobbys in one.

At this time, I can't afford to go SW (I could do FOWLR, but if you go SW, you may as well just go for a reef) so I'll have to stick with FW planted anyways.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.05(Mon)21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

a planted tank of discus is better than any saltwater. you can have more fish with less problems
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.05(Mon)23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

invertmaniac wrote:
a planted tank of discus is better than any saltwater. you can have more fish with less problems

I'm guessing you have never seen a really good reef tank then.
I mean, compare these:
http://www.aquahobby.com/tanks/e_tank0611.php
http://www.aquahobby.com/tanks/e_tank0501.php
http://www.aquahobby.com/tanks/e_tank0307c.php

Of course the reef ones will take a lot more commitment, but look at the rewards compared with the discus ones, I just can't see how the FW beats it....
But I spose it is a matter of opinion. It's just the way you said it (the bold bits) as if it was a fact.
arachnar
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.06(Tue)0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just think you should perfect keeping demanding freshwater plants and fish with a great aquascape then try a reef which is way more challenging,as mentioned reefs are very rewarding but most are not willing to put in the money to make anything out of them where as in freshwater you can hae beauty for less
here are some very cool sites http://www.greenchapter.com/portfolio.php?tp=300
and AGA for those that haven't discovered it yet,I like the recent paludariums the most ;looking at the perfect aquascapes gets boring fast.
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2006.cgi

Jun
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.03.06(Tue)0:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually prefer the look of freshwater, as well. :P I like dark tanks with tall, green plants and neat aquascaping better than reef tanks. I guess all those colours popping out at me at once is a little overwhelming... @_@ I can honestly say I'm not a fan of bright colours -- all my fish (with the exception of my bettas) are silver, gold/bronze and black. =p I keep fish as a relaxing hobby (I need it, my goodness), and for me, looking at a dark, nicely aquascaped freshwater is much more peaceful and relaxing than a bright saltwater tank with neon-coloured fish swimming everywhere.

Don't get me wrong, I like saltwater tanks as well, and I don't mean to sound like a hater, but I guess I'd rather see them at a huge aquarium or zoo rather than in my home. *shrug* n_n'
Serkan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.06(Tue)1:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely compare the look of freshwater. With freshwater you have the ability to be unique and create your own aquascape.

All your reef tanks look almost identical.

Flameangel even supported this when he posted those 2 photos of reef tanks from two different angles.

With freshwater you can diversify. You'd think that since there is so much more saltwater then there is fresh water, that there'd be more saltwater species kept in aquariums then freshwater. However, this is not the case.

With freshwater you can be different. Oh and just for the sake of it. Most discus tanks look the same as well. You discus people should try something different.
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: