Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
golden wonder killifish
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
B2
Members

PostPosted: 2007.03.03(Sat)18:33    Post subject: golden wonder killifish Reply with quote

I bought two pairs of these killies for a 40 gallon planted community tank. within two weeks the females killed off each other..I'm assuming anyways...they fought something fearce all the time til they were both dead. The males didn't fight all that much...just defended their side of the tank. Now my question is this: I'm down to one male...the other sadly jumped out of the tank. ...with the one remaining male....can I get more? The remaining one is huge now....much bigger than the ones in the stores.
second question: Are they meant to be in groups, pairs, or a male with several females etc? anyone know?
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.03.06(Tue)21:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard of people successfully keeping them in pairs and trios (harem style). Never put more than one male in a tank.
B2
Members

PostPosted: 2007.03.06(Tue)22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, I understand that....I had trouble with the females though not the males. ya think if I got a couple females again, that they would fight to the death again like the previous ones? I guess I could wait til I move the fish into the 75 gallon and then get some more killifish...then they would have more space.

thanks for the insights.
anyone else have any experiences like mine?
fish4meplz
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.03.07(Wed)16:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two golden wonder killis, male and female. I used to have another female until they faught to the death. They are much better in just pairs.
B2
Members

PostPosted: 2007.03.07(Wed)22:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your reply. OK, so it sounds like I should just get my male a new female and leave it at that. thanks .
AirForce Rick
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.06.10(Tue)13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have a male/female pair and they get along fine. When its feeding time though, thats a whole different story.
killifish999
New Members

PostPosted: 2011.02.22(Tue)20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP you could try getting a female and keeping her say in a five or ten gal until she gets larger .Then introduce her to your male .

Had a female male and a smaller male GW killi in a ten at first .The larger pair beat on the smaller male relentlessly ! Funny they would let him out in the morning to feed .Then both pulverize him until he hid again LOL ..He hid under a shell with just his snout poking out .

Have sense put my male and female in a 25 with some other fish mainly rainbows .They don't bother anybody but themselves LOL ..They seem to be mating .

My lone male loves it hes not getting beaten up ..He gets along fine with my three sword tails two flag fish and loaches .
 Forum Index > Killifishes and Killi Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: