Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Ever heard of a DIY "plant filter"(added pics)
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
arachnar
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.02(Fri)22:55    Post subject: Ever heard of a DIY "plant filter"(added pics) Reply with quote

I like to get aquarium books from the library ,but one thing I saw stuck with me ,it was a tray with plants in it that would absorb the nitrates in your water to feed off of leaving you with nitrate free water.
description
-a large tray with in/outake to aquarium is fitted with plastic netting to support stems of terrestrial plants while roots absorb nitrates and nutrients through the water they are emersed in
-they can be lit by flourescent or daylight
-small filter or powerhead keeps water flowing,also the tray is shallow and only meant to by 5 inches of water or so

..so anyone ever heard of this ,or tried it,of course another solution is to just have a heavily planted aquarium Wink

Last edited by arachnar on 2007.03.21(Wed)15:47; edited 1 time in total
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.03.03(Sat)0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I read that in an aquarium book, too (maybe the same book?). It's pretty much the same with what people do with saltwater tanks and refugiums. They stick some macroalgae in a seperate tank w/ a light that's part of the total water system. Algae absorbs nitrates and phospates, keeping the water clean and the main tank algae free.
DF Bobo
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.03.03(Sat)7:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete Harcoff wrote:
Yup, I read that in an aquarium book, too (maybe the same book?). It's pretty much the same with what people do with saltwater tanks and refugiums. They stick some macroalgae in a seperate tank w/ a light that's part of the total water system. Algae absorbs nitrates and phospates, keeping the water clean and the main tank algae free.

it's pretty much the same concept as a marine refugium. of course, I'd just place the plants in the tank itself, but I can see this working for tanks with boisterous fish that dig up plants or eat them.

hedgelj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.03(Sat)8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nice thread that discusses setting up a refugium in a freshwater tank can be found here.
arachnar
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.03(Sat)12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at that thread but it wasn't quite what I was looking for ,the thing I say had terresttrial or at least amphibious plants with only the roots in the water amd you wouldn't have to hide it you could put it by a window and save on the plant growth bulbs,maybe I'll see if I can scan a drawing or picture on if I still have the book. Surprised

arachnar
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.03(Sat)12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

this idea seems to also be used in the hydroponics field,a large pond or container ful of carp or freshwater fish in the region provides nitrates and other nutrients to the plants,while the plants take the nutrients and nitrates leaving the fish clean nitrate free water to swim in.
I'l draw a pic soon Wink

Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.03.03(Sat)17:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic is in the Brazilian forum, but I think it's exactly what you're looking for and the photos are pretty much self-explanatory Wink

http://www.aquahobby.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=26668

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
arachnar
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.03(Sat)18:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks ,Marcos that was pretty much what I was asking for and the same type of plant; today I actually put a cutting of the creeping plant in my aquarium while the leaves overhang outside,hopefully roots will start to grow.

only question-is the intake outake just powered by it's own siphoning action or by small pumps

Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.03.03(Sat)19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have to run it off a small powerhead or other pump, because it is impossible to siphon uphill.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.03(Sat)20:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

right michael,the reason this plant type filter is so interesting is that my area has relatively high nitrate levels so water changes are sort of useless except for clearing away poop,so this would be a great way to suck up the nitrates,its either that or find some cyanobacteria Shocked

Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: