Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Aquarium weight vs. Floor
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
saluki07
Members

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)18:19    Post subject: Aquarium weight vs. Floor Reply with quote

OK here's an important question... How much weight can a studded wood floor hold? I have a 110 gallon tank which I want to turn into a FOWLR tank, but I don't know if a wood floor could hold the weight of a stand, sump, aquarium and live rock. anyone have any advice?
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what the floor is constructed of. I would need a lot more info. to answer that question. What are the joists made of and what size are they and how far apart are they spaced? What country are you in?

In determining whether my floor would hold the 125 I consulted our engineers at work, it turns out the 6' tank puts less of a load on my floor than the 4' 75 gallon did. Your 110 is most likely a 4' tank, if not please correct me. My floor joists are 2x10's spaced 16" apart and the tank runs perpendicular to the joists to distribute the load evenly over several joists. You will need to know how your tank will be situated on the joists before you put water in it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
saluki07
Members

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)18:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank is 5' long 2 feet high and 1'6'' deep. Joists are 2x8 and spaced 14 inches apart. Not sure what kind of wood they are made of, and the tank would be running perpendicular with the joists
saluki07
Members

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tank is 5' long 2 feet high and 1'6'' deep. Joists are 2x8 and spaced 14 inches apart. Not sure what kind of wood they are made of, and the tank would be running perpendicular with the joists
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)19:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion it would be risky long term. 2x8's are very small and that tank would load them pretty hard. If you do it, make sure the tank is against an exterior wall. I would suggest consulting an engineer to ensure the floor will hold long term. You also have to consider the weight of the other items in the room when figuring the loading of the floor. Figure roughly 12 to 15 lbs per gallon of water, that includes rock, sand, water and equipment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
saluki07
Members

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there basically isn't any chance that the tank could be on an aquarium stand and with the sump underneath?
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a chance but I would consult a local engineer or someone who understands how things are built in your area. Are you in the U.S.?

Can you brace the 2x8's from underneath? 5' length and 14" on center may be OK depending on how the floor is constructed.
saluki07
Members

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)19:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a lot of X-braces in between the joists. (I forgot the name of the braces) but I could do that. The joists are connected to the floor so that the floor is running at an angle across the joists. So the floorboards make a v shape if you understand at all what I'm talking about
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Propping up the joists from underneath will work but I still suggest consulting someone who knows about the construction techniques used to make sure that it will support the weight.
saluki07
Members

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)20:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright well thanks for the advice
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: