Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Possible Starting/ Quarenteen Tank?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jaded12
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.28(Wed)20:37    Post subject: Possible Starting/ Quarenteen Tank? Reply with quote

I was looking into getting into marine keeping and want ot eventually get into corals and such. I was thinking of eventually getting a 125 or something as the "main" tank. But I was thinking of something like this ( http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod...mp;N=2004+62760 ) for my first tank. Is that a bit much for a tank like that with all the supplies? Also, is the other supplies any good, or are they a waste of time? Thanks for any help you guys give me!
Atlantis
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.28(Wed)20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your first marine tank, U should go Bigger instead of smaller. Bigger tank are more stable in saltwater. 34 gallon sounds good.

But the price for that tank is just too HIGH. I u have the money to afford it well go for it but u should buy a tank only and then shop here and there for your stuff and get better prices. Take your time, it worth it.

For the tank in your link, your probably paying for the brand IMO Confused

At the price u were ready to pay for a 34 g kit, u should really go for your 125 gallon.
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.02.28(Wed)21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're paying more for a system like that because of the design. It's designed to have everything inside the setup and look seamless. IOW, it's more about aethetics than anything else.

The downside is that because of its design, you won't be easily able to modify or swap out components should you want to change something.

I would first research what it is you would like to keep (fish, corals, etc), then plan accordingly. You're going to have some pretty high sunk costs anyway (even for a smaller tank), so you might as well not half-@$$ it.

It's not a bad idea to start with a smaller tank (I.e. 30 gallons) then switch it over to a quarantine tank when you decide to try a bigger tank.
jaded12
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.28(Wed)21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I was thinking. I just wanted to get others opinions on it as well. It can never hurt to ask. Thanks for the reply.

What products would you suggest that would be optimal for a reef tank in a 125 gal. I'm not familiar with the marine brandnames, so anything can go. I've been told that an RO unit is needed and LR and a protein skimmer is best for filtration. As for sumps and all that, do you know any good links for that. I don't understand them 100%, mostly the setups. Most of the tiem there isn't good pics to show what the people are talking about and I don't want to start drilling holes without fully knowing what's going on. People tell me a refugium is great to have. Can you offer any insight into a good one of these and links how to connect to the main tank? Thanks again!
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.02.28(Wed)21:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll answer what I can. I've never set up a tank with an overflow/sump, so I'm not too knowledgable about that.

A multi-stage RO is definitely recommended. Pure water is one of the most important components of a reef setup.

Live rock and skimmer combination work well for filtration. I use a Coralife Super Skimmer 125. For a 125 gallon tank, you'd probably want the next model up, the 220. It's always good to get a skimmer rated about double the size of the tank. Coralife skimmers aren't bad for the money (although they benefit from a little modification), but there are better and more expensive brands out there.

One of the best sites I've found regarding sumps is this one: http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

For tanks, there are tanks that are predrilled with overflows. All-Glass has a line of such tanks (including a 125 gallon).

A refugium is basically a place where you can have extra sand and algae, apart from the main display tank. Typically, people have a section of the sump for that purpose.
wittd
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.28(Wed)21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are at all handy, you can build your own sump out of a 20 gallon tank for much less money. Using a tank virtually eliminates the risk of leaks (no more than your main tank) and you can modify the inside to fit the needs you want. I don't have a drilled tank, but purchased an overflow box that works well, then just use a pump to pump the water back up to the tank. I didn't take pictures of my work but if you have any specific questions, I'll help as much as I can. I got most of my ideas from googling "DIY Sump". There is quite a bit of documented information out there, not to mention searching this board for old posts.
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)4:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen people use those 60-100L plastic tubs as sumps. so it dosen't have to be costly. as for overflow its quite simple. you either have an internal or external overflow. then you can have a different amount of flow going through the return provided by what is called the return pump which takes water from teh sump and puts it in the main tank. sumps can be designed to house deep sand beds, refugiums, skimmers, heaters, calcium reactors...the list just goes on. on method is to do something like:
Quote:
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t52/discosurf/500litretank.jpg

section for the skimmer on the left, on the right what I think is going to be a refugium and in the middle the return pump and heater. basically the sump is there to house all these very helpful things while hopefully keeping the equitment in the main tank to just circulation pumps.

with a 125gallon tank you could easily go for a 3ft long sump. what are the dimentions of a standard 125gallon tank anyways?

lighting wise the optimal would be halides, and it shouldn't be to expensive if you go with say 150watt shopfitters. this will also allow you to keep small polyped stony corals in the future.

andrew
jaded12
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)9:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. I'm still a bit confused on setting up the plumbing for sumps and all that, but I'm sure it'll eventually click after reading so many DIY sump stickies Mr. Green

Standard size for a 125 gall (according to http://www.alysta.com/books/fishtank.htm ) is... (L x W x H)

72 1/2" X 18 1/2" X 23 3/8"
jaded12
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete Harcoff wrote:

One of the best sites I've found regarding sumps is this one: http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

For tanks, there are tanks that are predrilled with overflows. All-Glass has a line of such tanks (including a 125 gallon).

OK, I've been reading that link, did this all seem very confusing to you guys at first as well? I'm rereading it time and time again, I want to make sure I get it 100%. This whole drainign system and everything, the style he shows the overflow is visible, you can avoid seeing htis so much by putting it into the back, but then is there a way to hide a return line? I'm not familiar with how marine tanks look.

I've been looking at this sump ( http://www.melevsreef.com/dfwmas/plin/115g_sump.html ) and actually like the concept of it the only thing is that I would defiantely need ot get a decent sized tank and see what that has before I can even think about building a sump from scratch.

Those all-glass tanks you mentioned... I'll have to take a look at them. Does anyone have pics of their systems and how it is arranged and set up, so I can get ideas. Thanks again!

Edit: Would this work? (The one for up to 240 gallons?)

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=13648&Ntt=sump&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1

or is that a waste of money?

I shoud probably build one from scratch huh?
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a pic of an external overflow:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~natalie_newman/new_tank/overflow2.jpg

completely hidden. the return is generally just some length of piping from the return pump that comes up teh back of the tank does a 180' turn down into the tank then a 90' to level it out. a small hole has to be drilled some where above the water line or the 90' elbow piece at the end has to be slightly above the water level or else you get a syphoning effect which in come cases can lead to the sumps overflowing.

Quote:
or is that a waste of money?

I shoud probably build one from scratch huh?

it would be cheaper to build it DIY and you can build it exactly how you want it! also bio balls are not needed in reef aquariums as the live rock is all the bacteria needs to live on.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: