Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Filters and marine tanks
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
dr_fosg8
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.28(Wed)20:17    Post subject: Filters and marine tanks Reply with quote

I am thinking of setting up a marine tank using my 25 gallon eclipse system.

I have been doing a lot of reading through the basics and beginners forum and have seen a lot people say that mechanical filtration will eventually become a big nitrate problem.

I am confused as to why this is. Anybody know why this happens?

Would doing regular rinsing of the media in some old tankwater take care of this problem as in a freshwater tank?
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.02.28(Wed)20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

it will become a nitrate factory if detritus is left to build up on it and just rots. cleaning it regularly would remove the detritus and can be used as a form of nutrient exportation.

peronally I wouldn't use an eclipse system for a marine tank I had an eclipse as my first marine and it wasn't that great. if you do go with the eclipse definatly add a couple powerheads to get the water movement up. also I modded mine so I could fit a HOB skimmer in, my prism which at the time worked rather well but I wouldn't advise buying one.

andrew
wittd
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.28(Wed)21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

In saltwater, you don't need to rinse in tankwater, actually shouldn't. The purpose of doing this in freshwater is to preseve the denitrifying bacteria. This is not what you want hapening in a marine filter. The only use for a filter is mechanical in marine tanks, no biological filtration. The bio filter should be the substrate and live rock. I recommend an aquaclear with only the mechanical filtration pad. It also helps to add some filter floss under the pad. Change the floss and rinse the pad at least once a week. I know Dale went a little more in depth into this issue in a recent post for some more information.
dr_fosg8
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

The eclipse wouldn't be my first choice either but since I already have it, and there is a power compact conversion for the lighting I thought it would be usable for a FOWLR setup. Is this setup doable for this?

As far as the bio-filtration only being the live rock and sandbed, would I want to remove the bio-wheel from the eclipse?

So the mechanical filtration is OK to have so long as it gets rinsed out in some fresh water? Nooooo problem I do not like having a poo filled filter! It takes sooooo little time to do this.

I am jumping the gun a little with this question seeing how the tank is still housing a pair of bolivian rams and some tetras but...the LFS's around me don't have a huge selection of marine fish. Would a single firefish and ocellaris clown be too much for a 25 gallon? What do you recommend?

Thanks people Very Happy
wittd
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are both calm and fairly small fish. I don't think that would be at all overstocked.
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

as long as you kept up the water changes to keep the nitrates under control you could probably have a pair of clowns(amphiprion ocellaris/percula would be most suited or skunk clowns as they stay relatively small) and a pair of fire fish. however you will most likely also have more problems with algae. why not go with a clown, a fire fish and some sortof herbavorious blenny? always a good idea to have fish that will contribute to keeping the tank clean!

andrew
dr_fosg8
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)20:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be nice to have the 3 fish! I wasn't sure if that would be too much. Have any info on the bio-wheel in the eclipse? Should it be removed?
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)21:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I removed mine, no point to it the live rock does its job. I completely hacked out that section too to install the skimmer!

andrew
dr_fosg8
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.03(Sat)20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice folks. I will post again with some pics when I get the tank set up.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: