Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Lighting for 55 gallon
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
saltguy07
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.27(Tue)16:24    Post subject: Lighting for 55 gallon Reply with quote

I have a new 55 gallon sitting around wanted to know how much lighting ide need for a reef aquarium? was looking at a orbit 48" fixture I believe it was 4 65 watt power compacts two reg and to blue atanic also there are lunar lights, so I figured it out and its gonna be bout 4.7 watts per gallon, wondering if that enough for most corals

thanks for the help

would be a 48" ORBIT 4X65W SUNPAQ LITE/FAN
$297.00 is that a decent price?

Last edited by saltguy07 on 2007.02.27(Tue)16:43; edited 1 time in total
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.02.27(Tue)16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

First you need to decide what kind of corals you want to keep. Softies? SPS?LPS? Do some research, find out your favs and research their lighting, filtration and current needs. They have different lighting requirements, so it's best to start with planning stock and then move to planning equipment.
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.02.27(Tue)16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

For soft corals is would be, such as mushrooms and polyps, most LPS not enough light intesity and SPS forget about it. Soft corals are the way to go until you have the equipment, budget, time and experience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
saltguy07
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.27(Tue)16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

so would that be enought for anemies prolly wrong spelling lol, and do u guy have a resonably priced model u like, want to buy the best I can aford
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.02.27(Tue)16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anemones require a lot of light (T5's or MH's), and aren't generally recommended due to their difficulty of care.
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.02.27(Tue)16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid any anemone for at least a year, they require a very stable system and a mature tank.

That PC fixture would probably work for bubblre tips, but it really isn't much light for the money. It and all pc fixtures lack the needed PAR to light the sandbed. It may look like it is lit, but the light doesn't have the correct intensity.

I would go with a couple of 150 watt metal halides, you could keep anything you wanted and had the experience to keep under them. T5's won't adequately light a standard 55 as it isn't wide enough to get enough bulbs over it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
saltguy07
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.28(Wed)16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea I wanted metal halides, but there like 500 flippin dollars for a 48" DAMN!!!, u know of any decent priced models, ill pay what I have to, but becuase I don't want to buy it again, but no trilled with 500 and up
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.02.28(Wed)18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately lighting isn't cheap. Nothing in this hobby is cheap. I still wouldn't set up a 55, they are just a horrible size, you only have less than 12 usable inched of width. At some point you will wish you had gone with a 75, those extra inches make all the difference.
saltguy07
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.03.04(Sun)10:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna take your advice and get at 75, but wanted to know if these are good prices

75 gallon w/overflow stand and canopy $225.00
Orbit 2 x 150 watt metal Halide, power compacts, and luner lights $750.00

$1000before skimmer and live rock and corals wow lol, but I will be worth it
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.03.04(Sun)11:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

$750 (US?) sounds a touch expensive for the lighting, although from a retail shop that's probably on par. FWIW, you can order that fixture from marinedepot for $650 US.

If you want to save some money, check around and see if there are any local aquarium clubs or classifieds. In my city, there is an aquarium club and people are constantly selling off used equipment.

Can't comment on the price of the tank.

And get used to paying the big bucks. Probably about 1/2 of your budget will go to lighting, tank and live rock alone. Throw in a skimmer, sump, pump, stand, heaters, powerheads, RO/DI unit, salt mix, sand, additives, test kits, livestock... it does add up. Shocked

I stopped counting how much I've spent on my 56 gallon, but if I had to guess, I'd say at least in excess of $3000. And I'm still not even close to being done stocking. I'm sure I'll spend hundreds more.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: