Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Aquaclear 500 (110) refugium
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.02.24(Sat)13:27    Post subject: Aquaclear 500 (110) refugium Reply with quote

I converted an Aquaclear 500 (110) filter to a HOB refugium for my 56 gallon tank. Previously, I was using an Aquaclear 70 (300) as a bubble trap for the outflow from my skimmer. It worked okay, but I wanted something bigger.

I used some 1/4" acrylic to build a couple internal baffles. The first basically created two chambers. The first chamber is the bubble trap, which currently has some foam in it. The second chamber is the refugium. I used a small baffle at the bottom to create a section for sand. I also used the bottom portion of the filter basket (cut to size) to create a grill for the outflow. This way no large algae should escape.

Lighting is currently provided by a 9W Power Compact fixture from AA Aquarium.

I'm looking to pic up some chaetomorpha algae which I will then put in there.

Some pics:

Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.02.24(Sat)13:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: