Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
DIY Refugium with an aquaclear 110??
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Atlantis
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.24(Sat)1:52    Post subject: DIY Refugium with an aquaclear 110?? Reply with quote

Hey, I am looking to build up a refugium to growth some macroalgae, I was thinking about using my aquaclear 110 as a hob refugium. I'm also thinkin about removing my fluval 104 and let the natural filtration doing hes job.(I'm not gonna remove my skimmer)
Is it a good idea? Maybe it pump a bit 2 much gph? I'm new to refugium so..ill need your help!

Tx!
Dave
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.02.24(Sat)2:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a good idea. I'm in the process of doing the same thing, although I'm using the outflow from my skimmer so the flow is a bit fast for a refugium.
Atlantis
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.24(Sat)2:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool cool, yea the outflow of a skimmer is a good idea, HIGH OXYG water! Probably a good thing for a successful fuge.

Hey, how much " the sand bed should be in the fuge? Aprox 2 inch I guess.
And where a live, I don't think lfs selling macroalgae, as I said, I'm new to this and wonder if I have to put macro to get macro or it can growth by itself?
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.02.24(Sat)11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

1-2 inches is probably good. I have about 1.5" in mine.

If you have live rock, you'll probably get some macro growing on it eventually. It took my tank about 4-5 months, but then I had all this macro algae growing everywhere (too much in fact).
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.02.24(Sat)13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a thread in the DIY section with some pics of my Aquaclear 'fuge.
Atlantis
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.25(Sun)18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cracked my aquaclear !!!!!!!! Mad dammm

I'm trying to fix it with waterproof superglue hope it will be OK .

I'm gonna use a spiral bulb (enersaver), its quite a bright white light! I'm sure it will do the job.

Is it really needed to put some sand in fuge or can I just use it to grow macroalgae and put some live rocks in it. Would it be good?
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.02.25(Sun)20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually cracked mine too, when I was cutting out a piece so it would fit my tank. Unfortunately, it resulted in a small leak when I initially set it up. To fix it, I used Weld-on and glued a piece of 1/4" acyrlic across the crack. I hope that will keep the crack from potentially spreading.

The bulb sounds good. I've been told you don't need too much light for a refugium.

You don't need sand. The sand is just so things like 'pods can propagate free of predation in the main tank. Although in a small space like an Aquaclear filter, I wonder how effective that will be.
Atlantis
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.26(Mon)13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres my ac fuge, I think there is still too much flow in it :/ is it important to have really low flow if I don't have live sand for pods and stuff, or its as important for the algae?

I'm gonna try to find an other light or maybe some kind of reflector, because there is not that much light that goes in the fuge.

Atlantis
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.26(Mon)20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ho nvm, I found something, its an old lamp, I put some foil in the cone , it make a big difference. Still dosnt look good but..the result count! Razz

And btw, now that I have my fuge install, and a skimmer, do u think I can take out my mechanical filtration?(fluval 104) Or should I wait ?
Pete Harcoff
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.02.26(Mon)20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks good to me. For flow, lower flow is better for 'pods. That way they have time to propogate in the 'fuge without getting sucked out into the tank.

Regarding the Fluval, I'd go ahead and disconnect it. The skimmer should take care of any organics in the water, and the algae in the 'fuge should absorb any leftover nitrates, phosphates, etc.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: