Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Price of fish...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
McP
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.02.23(Fri)18:17    Post subject: Price of fish... Reply with quote

Something that I started considering the more involved I have become with the hobby is thinking how changes in pricing would affect fish sales. What do you all think? Would higher prices make you stop and do more research, and give you a chance for sober second thought when you see a "must have" fish?

Personally I think that an increase in the posted price of fish would have this desired effect on a lot of the people who spontaneously purchase what they see as disposable pets. Looking at a tank full of neons and seeing a $10 per fish charge would make people think twice at least about the money that would be lost if their fishkeeping endeavour wasnt successful. Whether the dealer was to cut people deals after conferring with the customers is a possibility.

So would you pay more for fish in order to deter people who see or finned friends as cheap, disposable decorations? It seems after reading the Galaxy Raspbora thread that even people on this site who I would consider in the minority who actually care about fish, were inclined to do more research with the price tag and status of the fish involved.
thebelovedtree
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.23(Fri)18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually only do fish rescue because I believe that the industry in it's current form kills the vast majority of fish and treats living beings like products. Friends I know who have worked in pet stores have all said that more expensive fish get better care and go to more informed owners. I might consider purchasing fish if the changes you're talking about were to come into effect. The increased cost of fish could pay for better transport, housing, employee training, etc. which might bring the industry up to standards I'm comfortable supporting.
celticwraith
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.23(Fri)18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I First started, price was a major factor in the fish I looked at. I knew very little, so poor inexpensive fish payed the price. I agree it would make people stop and do the research. The cost of equipment can add up, and if someone is looking at a fish like neons being $10.00 a fish, most likely only serous well researched people would be getting in to the hobby. I would have done more research if the costs where higher. I'd be willing to pay a bit more.
Ciklido
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.23(Fri)20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you guys think though that this hobby would be as popular and sucessful if prices were higher?

Personally, I would stop keeping fish, too many high prices would scare off new-customers who are potentially able to become life-fish lovers. I think it would cut off many new people from being able to realize what the hobby truly is. Anyways people have gotten used to really cheap prices such as for goldfish. Who would pay $2.00 dollars to buy a goldfish?

If sales went down considerably, do you think the fish/aquarium industry would decrease its fish farms and product manufacturing?
Steve Hampton
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.02.23(Fri)21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think prices will affect many of the worse offenders. Some of the worse people are spending big dollars on SW fish without having a clue how to properly care for the animals. It's one of attitude not finances IMO.
McP
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.02.23(Fri)21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think popularity amongst aquarists would be the same if not higher. Not only would we be enjoying our fish but we would be able to have a less cynical view of the LFS/LPS's. I don't really think that it would affect the bottom line of stores much. Dry goods would remain similar. The extra revenue from this deterrent would help make up for a loss in volume. Thats really the premise of this, having stores focus on quality rather than quantity.

If I had a store running as mentioned I would likely have the higher prices posted. Hopefully rather than relying on selling X many fish at the lowest price I would be able to foster a relationship with that customer that would be mutually beneficial. That customer buys 50 dollars of fish but over the 4 or more years those neons live they might just enjoy a varied diet. Maybe I can make some money culturing live foods. Do you see where this is going?

While prospective keepers may be turned off initially by a higher price I think that this would eliminate havers to a significant extent. If the potential "keepers" really have an interest in the fish they will wonder why fish cost that much and do some research. Maybe thats overly utopian. I realize some people don't consider money as a factor and will "get what they want" regardless.

Regarding fish farms and wholesalers I would think that if the demand for quality rather than sheer numbers was a greater factor we could get better quality stock. Maybe rather than selling all living fry they could cull out the sick or deformed. It wouldnt necessarily mean that these people would be out of business they would have to adjust to the markets desires. At least in North America we operate largely on supply and demand from what I know.
Ron J.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.24(Sat)12:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ciklido wrote:
Personally, I would stop keeping fish

For some reason I just don't buy that! Laughing
Serkan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.24(Sat)15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what I'm saying is kind of unrelated but anyway.

The whole continous slump and decline of fish sales is simple. How many aquarium stores have you seen shut down due to lack of business. It's because the fish keeping market is not a big one. Aquarium stores should be marketing packages and complete set-ups, showing the end result of what people can have, rather then just showing empty tanks and fish.
McP
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.02.24(Sat)16:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Hampton wrote:
I don't think prices will affect many of the worse offenders. Some of the worse people are spending big dollars on SW fish without having a clue how to properly care for the animals. It's one of attitude not finances IMO.

My thinking is that while some of the most expensive fish currently are SW and this doesn't deter people from getting them without doing enough research, making fish that currently cost very little more expensive would save some of these guys from poor lives. While for some people see money as no object to stop them from getting their wishes I think that this may change the attitude of the average person who can't spend as frivolously. I'm not sure how to stop the people who are not deterred by high prices, but this could be a start IMO.
underOATH87
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.24(Sat)21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think that people would only buy goldfish tanks or keep a single betta, the cheapest things out there if say Neon Tetras were like 4 bucks a piece. Because it;s always best to keep them in a group, of say 6. That's 24 dollars alone on a very common fish that won't even get bigger than half my pinky usually. And the prices of tanks/setups are very pricey, it's a very expensive hobby. I find it's easier to keep up with my two cats than it is with my tanks. Call me ignorant, but hundreds of dollars for glass and plastic? UGH!

I don't usually buy fish that are more than 5 dollars unless it's just one or two. Like my Dwarf Flame Gouramis were 5 something a piece and I told myself, that's the last time.

I hope I never go out and buy a 40 dollar fish.

Myspace Mobsters Forum: www.mademen.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: