Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Water parameters
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Atlantis
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.22(Thu)14:10    Post subject: Water parameters Reply with quote

OK there is the deal..I just bought all the test kits I tought ill need and my results are..

pH - 8.2
Calcium - 400 ppm
Nitrite - 0.1
Nitrate - 0
Ammonia - near .25
Phosphate - 0.07 ppm
Alk 3.6 meq/l

Just want to know..how would u guys deal with the last 3 results?

Water change...try distilate water?
wittd
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.22(Thu)18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

What tank is this and how long has it been set up? The ammonia and nitrite are the ones that worry me. This suggests that your tank is still cycling or something is drastically wrong. A water change will dilute them and lower the readings, but the problem needs to be determined and solved. Ammonia and nitrite should always be 0 in a proper tank. They are deadly to fish (there aren't any in this tank are there?).
Atlantis
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.22(Thu)18:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

This tank is running for about 1 year now. Its 20 gallon reef tank that contains a clarky clown, blue damsel, and an half-black angel. + Blood shrimp and a peppermint shrimp. I think tthe nitrite and stuff are maybe causing by the cyano and diatom algae that I have right now in my tank, it seems that they are dying up so maybe thats the source of the problem. An other things that can maybe explain the ammonia is that I just add 6 turbo snails a couple of day a go, and the last time I did add 6 snaisl, I end up with 1, probably because my hydrometer isnt calibrate for now so I had wrong reading of the salinity. So maybe one of the snails is dying up somewhere, I'm trying to count them but I can only count approx 4, if the others are still alive they probably hiding behind rocks somewhere.

But anyway, let me know what u think about that! If u think it can be the cause or not.

Ho I forgot, like 2-3 weeks ago, can't remember, I did change the filtration, from an aquaclear powerfilter 500 and a fluval 104. I did an error while changing it, because I did change it without let the aquaclear running for a while so , I did remove the aquaclear and start running a filter where tehre wasnt even a bacteria establish. But...with a tank taht fun for about a year...shouldnt be really a prob? I also have a protein skimmer on it that do pretty well the job.

OK I'm done, so lets ear what u have to say!

Tx

Dave
wittd
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.22(Thu)19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

The filter changing could account for the ammonia / nitrite spike. Were you running the biomax in the Aquaclear or just the mechanical pad. The real goal in saltwater power filters is mechanical and/or chemical. We don't want the filter doing the biological filtration (this should come from the live rock and the substrate). A tank can only support a certain number of nitrifying bacteria (what the waste in the tank can sustain). If you did have part of your bacterial colony residing in the filter and you removed it. It will take time to regenerate the amount of bacteria to sustain the waste. Couple this with the fact that you added more waste in upping your livestock population with the snails. If you have one decaying then it could really foul your water. This is what we call a mini-cycle. If you do go looking for snails, don't disturb the substrate moving things around or you could release mass amounts of detritus and DOC's. Your tank can't handle this right now in addition to the other problems.

I would suggest doing a 15% to 20% water change every three days until this problem clears up. You also want to test the water daily for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte. If you see these numbers rising, then you will want to do the water changes more often or changing maybe 25% of the water. Also, it would help if you use RO/DI water. If your LFS doesn't sell it, then you can get it in a 5 gal jar (like used in office water coolers). Where I live there is an 8$ deposit on the bottle and around 6$ to trade out an empty for a full.

Testing and dilligence should get you through this before your tank crashes. Keep us posted.

David
Atlantis
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.23(Fri)18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ty very much for your reply , ill do the best I can!

And for the nitrite result, I probably had wrong reading because today I had zero, and for the ammonia it gave me approx the same result, between zero and .25 .

I did my saltwater mix 2day, ill do a waterchange tomorrow and test it again.
Atlantis
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.27(Tue)17:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it OK to use some pH adjust when your mix of water is at a too low pH?? Or it consider "Chemical" and can be bad for your tank.
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.02.27(Tue)17:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add some baking soda in when you mix up new SW for water changes. Test it before you add it to your tank to make sure you haven't added too much! I add 1/2 tsp per 5 gallons. Much cheaper than commercial pH buffers and just as effective.
Atlantis
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.27(Tue)17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK tx, well I have some buffers here so I'm gonna use it I guess, just want to make sure that will not harm anything in my tank.
Atlantis
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.27(Tue)18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a bottle here the is a red sea pH buffers, it is to adjust the pH up or down or its something u add to the tank to help maintains a certain pH?? My english is not that good so..It will be appreciate from your part to explain me that buffers.

Last edited by Atlantis on 2007.02.27(Tue)19:45; edited 1 time in total
Atlantis
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.27(Tue)19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG how is this possible? I add almost 1 cup of baking soda to 5 gallon of water, the pH didn't change..I put some pH Adjust the pH didn't change...????
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: