Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Aggressive Molly
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Stormwolf
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.15(Thu)17:57    Post subject: Aggressive Molly Reply with quote

Hi guys. I have a question about my Orange Sailfin Molly(Male). He has been getting very aggressive during and after feeding. I have 5 bronze cory, 1 betta, and a female silver molly.

During feeding he chases the female molly around quite abit, and once the flakes are done he heads down to the catfish and chases them a lot. He claims a huge area around a shrimp pellet and chases everyfish quite visously who comes near.

Is there anything I should do? Will the Cory(3/4inch) be fine with this or get stressed? I love the little guys and am tempted to return the molly but he is very healthy and beautiful. Any Ideas?

Thanks
lenoirj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.15(Thu)19:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this info on Sailfins: http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_molly2.php
It seems they like brackish conditions and looks as though the rest of your tank inhabitants are not brackish water fish. I don't know that this would make him aggressive. But, you should check this out and see if you find your answer there.
10 gallon #1:5 bronze corys
10 gallon #2:1 VT betta, 11 rasbora
5 gallon: cory fry tank
1 gallon: 1 ghost shrimp
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.02.16(Fri)4:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mollies can live in brackish water or even full marine conditions, but they don't need it. What they do need is hard water. There is no need to think brackish to keep Mollies.

Mollies like a lot of fish can at times show "Aggression", it is normal to keep 1 male to 2 or 3 females, so they can spread this sexual "Aggression" around.

I don't think I would really use the word aggression (As in I am out to kill that fish), it is more than likely, he is feeling a bit randy or bored.

Sometimes you just have to remove the problem. What size tank are we talking about?

Bob
underOATH87
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.16(Fri)12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah bob is right, I had one Male and one Femal (lyre tail dalmation), and when I introduced the female into the tank, the male starting nipping and chasing her like crazy. I had to move them to seperate tanks.

Myspace Mobsters Forum: www.mademen.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Stormwolf
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.18(Sun)22:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Sounds like I should get another female or two to keep him busy. He seems to be a bit better now as I have added a few more fish (platys, and swords) but I will consider another female or two.

How often do mollies breed? Are they like guppies or much slower?

Oh and my tank size is 56 gallon.

Thanks guys
Brave Dave
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.19(Mon)13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mollies take a little longer before they release thier fry. About two six weeks to two months time.

As for your new additions(platys and swords) I belive they need to be kept in the same ratio as the molly. Two females per male. Also with all of those livebearers you will have lots and lots of fry. Do you know what you will do with them? Some will be consumed by the parents unless there are lots of plants and rocks for the fry to hide in. I've never kept a betta but I would think they would help keep the population down, but I don't know. Just make sure you have a back up plan if you get over run by fish!
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: