Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
February Photo Contest - "Tankmates!" [RESULTS]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Heather R
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)8:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and to marcos:
Quote:
PS: I didn't want to mention this but I guess I have to. munkee: that is a very sad photo of two fish (one of them clearly sick) that simply don't belong in that tank or with each other. I hope you've already gotten advice from the experienced members in the help forums about relocating these poor fish...

Neither of those fish were ill. Maybe you should not be so quick to judge things you are seeing in a quick snapshot without getting the correct information first.

The Goldfish has been with me for a long time, no problems, and the clown knifefish I was told it would be fine in my tank, my mistake listening to LFS staff. I have since returned it and replaced it with a dojo loach. BTW the knife was in perfect health, and growing very quickly. He was hiding from the camera flash as it is a nocturnal fish, and the camera frightened it a bit.
Thanks so much for the insulting remarks with no information to back that up.
I understand this is your site so you can say whatever you like, just next time take the time to ask the person, you are ready to lash out. [/quote]
rm-slover
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my first time entering the contest and I think that if I knew how to use my photoshop program it could have been a better photo.

#27 - xPat - I liked someoneelses quote - "when I grow up I want to be a discuss"

#28 - Jsn_ - I like this picture although with photoshop you could have made the colors pop more, but I can't be quick to judge because I can't use my photoshop program.

#10. - fish4fun - I like how you caught the cory off the bottom of the tank and swimming with the groumi, when eve my pandas come off the bottom they are usually moving so much it is hard to get a good shot of them.

honorable mention -

MattTVI - while you may know their scientific names and more about them than the rest of us, to most people it is an anemone and a clown, nothing unusual.

#11. Angela G. - nice shot, nice tank w/ the driftwood and java moss, but I couldne tell those were 2 different fish.

11. Angela G. nice shot as it reminds me of what my tanks look like w/ bristlenose and angels. but the too reflective ness of the pearlscale angel and the huge flas spot killed it for me.
Fish4fun
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)10:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.) #27 - xPat - the Discus looks a little surprised you caught it hanging out with a Ram

2.) #6 - sirreal63 - Even though you blew the detail out of the feathery thing (Sorry for the technical term Wink ) the rest of the photo made up for it in my opinion; the textures and colors are stunning

3.) #19 - Marcos Avila- I like the subjects. I never thought of a pleco as being cuddly until I saw this shot!

Honourable mentions:

I really, really wanted to vote for jsn_, but the subjects blended into the background too much for me.

If only the shrimp and wafer in underOATH87's picture had been in focus as well. . . But - brilliant action shot! I think the shrimp should win the battle Very Happy

fzthomas - a little fuzzy, a little washed out, but the relentless snails marching on the cory is great
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

5 Lindak
19 Marcos
18 Underoath
fiffy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)11:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is my first time entering the contest and I think that if I knew how to use my photoshop program it could have been a better photo.

I'm sorry, this comment just bothers me. Haveing worked in the photographic industry for a good 8 years I have to fully dissagree with this. Photagraphy is the art of captureing the image with the camera. Photoshop is not protagraphy. I would rather see something as it naturally is then to see it with unnatural "enhanced" colours, or adding/removeing of things from the photo just because you don't like them there. Nature provides more beauty then your computer ever can. But hey, thats just my take on it.

As for my picks.

There were other really wonderful photos as well. But we are only limited to 3. And good luck to everyone who entered. Very Happy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)15:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree with Fiffy...Photoshop takes it from being a pic you shot yourself to one you created on a computer. I have been taking photos since 1976 and I think talent lies in taking the shot, not re-arranging pixels after the fact. 99% of the pics we take aren't special...strive for the 1% that is good.

My picks...

1. #20 as this is a natural interaction between a cleaner and a fish.

2. #10 Nice composure.

3. #27 Good timing on the shot. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
invertmaniac
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishy me
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)15:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. 28. jsn - I love pictures that have lots of colour in them.
2. 19. Marcos Avila - Its neat how both of them are facing the same way!
3. 10. fish4fun - Follow the leader!!!
celticwraith
Members

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) #5
2) #19
3) #12

To me these 3 are the best pictures.
lindak
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

#7 - munkee - You can feel their togetherness, they seem like close friends.

#4 Jan - I like this whole composition. it's a bit abstract . I also like the positions of the fish as they carry your eye to the back of the photo. The warm colors of the rock compliment the warm colors of the fish and vice versa.
#1 - celticwraith - just 2 guys out for a swim

Secial mention: #25 bolivian rampage
#10 fish4fun - good composition, swimming in tandem
#27 xPat - these fish look like apparitions, ghosts coming out of the dark.

Marcos, I actually didn't deepen the color of the photo, but I did darken it, which in some photos has the same result. The water stains would have been a lot brighter and the body of the angelfish would have almost been a hot spot he's so shiny.
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Jump to: