Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
February Photo Contest - "Tankmates!" [RESULTS]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jsn_
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.27(Tue)11:37    Post subject: Ram and my Red Turk Discus Reply with quote

The ram is doing his best to scare the discus away... he's trying at least.
Zeppelin
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.27(Tue)15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure why not

loach and small mouth bass
DF Bobo
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.02.27(Tue)17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

my black skirt tetras and sneaky swordtails. (yes, there are 2 swordtails there!)

Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.02.28(Wed)23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good participation again in the second contest...although a few members had some trouble understanding the contest theme. Let's move on to the 1 week voting phase! We have a total of 30 valid submissions in this contest. All board members can vote, but remember...to make a valid vote you MUST choose your 3 favorite candidates from the selection below and clearly list them in order of preference!

We also encourage everyone to add comments justifying your choices, and including praises or constructive criticism to those that weren't chosen.

Participants cannot vote for their own photo, but are expected to vote and add comments for the "other" good photos! All in the name of friendship and fun!

Voting Deadline: March 7th (Wednesday)

#01. celticwraith

#02. Serkan

#03. sciaccaj20

#04. Jan

#05. lindak

#06. sirreal63

#07. munkee

#08. J.B.

#09. ceci9293

#10. fish4fun

#11. Angela G.

#12. MattTVI

#13. fzthomas

#14. aqua-artist

#15. T. Bartelt

#16. ridethelightning

#17. Tynan Rasmus

#18. underOATH87

#19. Marcos Avila

#20. Doosharm

#21. Dusko

#22. shaun64326

#23. nanaglen2001

#24. Osprey

#25. Bolivian Ramage

#26. violentray

#27. xPat

#28. jsn_

#29. Zeppelin

#30. DF Bobo

Good luck everyone! Wink

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)0:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go ahead and vote first this time...

1) #10. fish4fun - This is the full package...very sharp photo with low depth of field, lovely colors, and great composition with the cute little bronze cory going out of its way to interact with the gourami.

2) #27. xPat - "When I grow up I want to be a discus" - Love it! Laughing

3) #05. lindak - I'm willing to forgive the distracting water stains on the glass, and the apparently overdone color retouch, in light of the excellent interaction between the angel and pleco.

A few other entries I really liked:

- #28. jsn_ - I would probably have voted for this one if it'd gotten a proper retouch on the brightness and contrast.

- #12. MattTVI - Wonderful photo! Just missing a bit of WOW factor within the contest's theme, since the clown-anemone interaction doesn't have anything "unexpected" about it...

- #01. celticwraith - great sense of movement and interaction from the loach. Too bad the colors in the photo are a bit washed out (low ISO?)

- #13. fzthomas - very cute! I love the context you put into it in your post Smile

Great job everyone else! There was a lot to of good stuff to choose from Wink

PS: I didn't want to mention this but I guess I have to. munkee: that is a very sad photo of two fish (one of them clearly sick) that simply don't belong in that tank or with each other. I hope you've already gotten advice from the experienced members in the help forums about relocating these poor fish...

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
newbury_ian
Members

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)3:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

My votes have to go as follows:

1. 12# MattVI - I really love this picture of a Clown Fish in its most natarul state.
2. 28# jsn_ - This is such a brilliant picture and you must have had the patience of a saint to get it.
3. 27# xPat - I really love the sharpness of the colour of the discuss in the front of the picture.

Other mentions got to:

6# sirreal63
5# lindak
14# aqua-artist
ridethelightning
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)3:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

celticwraith love the express on the loaches face

lindak

Tynan Rasmus
Serkan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)5:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. #07 munkee. There's something about this photo that's just so alluring and honest. Why would anyone keep a goldfish with a clown knife? People hardly keep goldfish with many other species let alone a Clown Knife. And why? Because they don't belong together. They won't interact with each other! WRONG! Here is proof of two fish, two buddies getting along. This photo challenges several viewpoints this website argues. This site would highly not recommend keeping a Clown Knife with a Goldfish. This site will highly recommend not keeping the two species together, and they are right for doing so, as I would do the same. This photo however, says different. It shows the fish interact, it not only goes against the recommendations of the community, but it goes against nature itself. This is why I think this photo is so incredible, because you will probably never see these 2 species interacting ever again, hoever brief a time it was. These two guys shouldn't be together, they shouldn't be in the same tank, and yet they are?

I've heard that you recently returned your clown knife, but I've seen you swapped him for an equally interesting tank mate.

Besides, who can resist the goldfishes little pudgy face.

2. #5 Lindak The stains on the tank make it seem like some sort of majestic holy light is shining on none other but the angel fish. Coincidence huh?

3. #25 Bolivian Rampage. This is a great photo, the focus is on the central loach, but on further inspection you can see another loach beneath it. This not only shows the 3 fish interacting with each other, but at the same time shows the fish interact with their environment. Excellent photograph.

Matt, your picture was definitely the best taken, I just don't think it fit in with the theme. Sorry.

-Serkan

Last edited by Serkan on 2007.03.01(Thu)6:57; edited 1 time in total
fzthomas
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)6:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. 27

2. 15

3. 28
MattTVI
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)7:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

#18 - they look like they're trying to intimidate the ghost shrimp... "hey buddy, you gonna share that!"

#27 - what an expression!

#21 - I just like the picture... Smile

note: I figured my submission was a risk, but that hosting behavior is not found in the wild anywhere... A. Ocellaris and E. Quadricolor only host in captivity and then only occasionally... Smile
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Jump to: