Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
First 70L tank!!
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
lotlot
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.15(Thu)15:59    Post subject: First 70L tank!! Reply with quote

I have just set it up and I'm so excited Very Happy It's looking pretty bare at the moment but I'm going to get some new bits for it tomorrow such as a little cave for the corner and some extra plants. It is already testing quite high for ammonia so it's obviously present in the tap water. I'm also going to get a handful of gravel from the aquatics shop from their tanks so the cycling will occur a little bit quicker.

So far I am planning to stock with about 5 leopard or zebra danios to begin with. Then after that I am going to slowly add:
-About 6 Neon or black neon tetras
-5 cherry barbs
-3 common guppies
-And hopefully about 3 corydoras

Then I'll go from there Very Happy

Let me know of any ideas you have

Charlotte
x
cherrybarb06
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.15(Thu)16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. It reminds me of my tank. It will really start to come together when you add the other plants and cave and stuff. I have 3 cherry barbs in my tank and they're very pretty and active. The paience throughout the cycle really pays off in the end so hang in there. Good luck and happy fish keeping.
lenoirj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.15(Thu)18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size is that tank?
10 gallon #1:5 bronze corys
10 gallon #2:1 VT betta, 11 rasbora
5 gallon: cory fry tank
1 gallon: 1 ghost shrimp
Skittles
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.15(Thu)18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that background!!! I think a piece of driftwood would look great in there too
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.16(Fri)2:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. It's a 70L tank.

Do you have to soak driftwood for a while before adding it to the tank? Because I would love some but everywhere I have read that they should b soaked for weeks or months Confused

My tank has been set up overnight now and this morning it is really cloudy Confused Any ideas what it could be?
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.16(Fri)3:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

What filtration do you have?

Often in cycling tanks it goes cloudy. You should wait a while and see if it goes away. If not, then you might need some heavier filtration.
lotlot
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.16(Fri)3:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.juwel-aquarium.de/en/filter_full.htm That's the filter system I have, the standard one.

My ammonia levels are up to about 5ppm and I've only added a tony bit of fish food Shocked Hopefully that's right lol.

I have been reading up more about the corydoras and am stuck about the substrate they need. I have quite large gravel substrate and I don't know if this would be OK for them? Is there anything I could do to make it more suitable for them without changing the substrate completely?
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.16(Fri)3:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you need fine substrate, usually sand or really fine gravel.
You could try a sand pit. A container filled with sand, so they can play and find food in there. If they don't have fine substrate their barbels will come off and they won't be able to find food, resulting in their death Sad

How many L/h does your filter do?
fzthomas
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.16(Fri)7:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

concerning your driftwood -> best is to 'cook' it a few times. The water will then turn brown in color. Keep doing it 2 or 3 times until it doesn't give brown water anymore and then you can add it to the tank without problem.

your amonia should be 0ppm - any level of more than 1ppm is already bad for the fish, so its better to wait and be patient instead of starting to put fish in an unhealthy environment.

looking at your picture, I notice that the gravel is a bit too large for the corys to dig in. I sggest to remove some of it and add about 2cm of finer gravel on top of it.

goodluck with it
underOATH87
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.16(Fri)12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really a 70 Liter tank? It's look about 30-28 Liters. Hmmm......Must be the way I see it.

Myspace Mobsters Forum: www.mademen.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: