Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Emperor 400 vs penguin 350b
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
SLACkra
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.02.18(Sun)3:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

this discussions gotten way off track(my fault sorry lads) from the for/against mechanical filtration!

However dale your completely right I was really wong. the herbavores will take up 10% of the organics but once say the snail population hits a certain level there will be mass competition for food and some snails will die and nitrates will come from that.

back to the main topic, my main gripes with mechanical filtration which are bassically the added maintenance of cleaning out the filter sponge(how often do you clean yours?). that and if you don't clean it out enough you just end up with detritus being decomposed in the filter.

Also say we have mechanical filtration. we feed a fish it goes to the toilet some of the waste is captured in the mechanical filter where some of it decomposes before some of it being removed. then case 2 no mechanical filtration but say the fishes waste goes on to feed say amphipods. the amphipods get some feed and it keeps their population going. the fish then can predate on the amphipods as a supplement to its normal feeding which dosen't have to be as much as it got some nutrients from the amphipods unlike the one with the mechanical filtration which has to be fed more. so basically with the one with mechanical filtration a greater amount of nutrients is being added to the tank via fish food but some nutrients are being removed via teh filter, and with no mechanical filtration a smaller amount of nutrients is being added. not sure which method works out to being more effective at limiting the amount of nutrients being added to tank though I suspect if the mechanical filter was cleaned regularly that might be the one that is more effective.

Andrew
Atlantis
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.19(Mon)13:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tx for both of u and to awnser u andrew, I clean it aprox every week Smile I think I'm gonna stay with my fluval for now, but I keep in mind bio wheel or some other more powerful filtration then I have right now.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: