Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Galaxy Rasbora a threatened species in the wild
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.02.13(Tue)14:11    Post subject: Galaxy Rasbora a threatened species in the wild Reply with quote

Sorry, in some ways this is double posting, but this info has gotten buried on a back page and people ought to know.
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.CO2.uk/pfk/pages/item.php?news=1197
Please don't buy these fish unless you intend to breed them. If you can, seek out captive-bred stock. Don't encourage the extinction of these beautiful fish in the wild!
ITHURTZ
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.14(Wed)0:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

6months it been available for aquarium and its in trouble now, OUCH.

can't people just breed them and throw hundreds of thousands back in the wild over the next few years?

It is a nice looking fish though
fiffy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.14(Wed)8:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they were going to do something like that, I would think they would have done it with the Cherry Barb already. Unfortunaltly the Cherry Barb is almost completely extinct in the wild. Pretty much every one availible for sale right now is captive breed. I don't see the harm in pumping both those species current stock in the wild. After all, its thanks to human interfearance that their numbers are so low.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.02.14(Wed)17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with that is that when we captive breed, we effectively alter the species. Look at wild guppies in comparison with our captive bred fancy guppies. They look like different fish!

I imagine captive bred cherries are quite different than wild ones. We don't really want to be pumping fancy-coloured fish into wild habitats. That could totally change the way a certain biotope works.
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.02.19(Mon)1:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two different issues being confused in this topic. There are two main ways that a species can become threatened, then eventually extinct in the wild. One is by over-fishing (removing more individuals from their habitat than the species is capable of replacing through their natural reproduction rate) and the other is through desctruction of the species' natural habitat.

'Fancy plecos' like the Galaxy and the Zebra are generally in the first category. Thankfully their habitats in South America are still in reasonable shape, but these beautiful species have been recently 'discovered' for the hobby and quickly became such valued specimens in the USA/Europe/Japan that they were very severely over-fished in a very short time, before commercial breeders have been able to set up a captive breeding program on the commercial scale. This is actually the easier problem to solve...the species just needs to get protected from massive capture (Brazil has already taken care of that on paper, but obviously some level of poaching is still an issue just like anywhere else in the world) and once the commercial breeding is capable of reducing the market pressure over wild caught's, the wild species numbers can naturally start increasing again without even requiring the release of captive-bred fish.

The second type of threat is much more serious (IMO) because there's basically no natural habitat left to release fish even if breeders wanted to. This is the case of several Southeast Asian species like the Cherry Barb and the Red-Tailed Shark. The situation here is quite the opposite, these are species that have been around in the hobby for many decades, their large-scale commercial breeding programs are quite successful and supply virtually all of the hobby's demand, and that's where the hobby actually presents a beneficial influence in the species' preservation, while we wait and hope that someday the natural habitats will once again be suitable for their reintroduction in the wild...

--
EDIT: Doh! I just noticed that the topic is about the Galaxy Rasbora, not the Galaxy Pleco Embarassed but that doesn't invalidate what I wrote above Smile

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
Serkan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.19(Mon)2:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully there's an untapped, undiscovered habitat with all these endangered species of fish.

I hear the coelacanth was thought to be extinct for 10000 years before they started seeing them again since 1938.
fiffy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.19(Mon)16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice post Marcos.

I wasn't suggesting that a species which has been wildly altered (such as guppies or betta's) be relesed. But if the species hasn't really been altered much then there really isn't much of a problem. Such has someone collects a number of cherry barbs from the wild, breeds them, releses a percentage into the wild, and uses the rest to breed more. Also, I'm not suggesting that this would ever happen either. Was basicly saying that if they were going to do it for species B, then why haven't they done it for species A yet.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.19(Mon)20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading that they are currently fishing them in a manmade habitat. If that's the case, maybe these fish already live and breed in some natural environment elsewhere, and these somehow came to that pool by accident.

It's something to hope for. We can also hope that humans don't find whatever 'natural' habitat these fish originally came from, or that they haven't already ruined it.
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.02.19(Mon)22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

joitoy wrote:
I remember reading that they are currently fishing them in a manmade habitat.

That's what I've been wondering, joitoy. I may be remembering it wrong, but I think I read somewhere that the galaxy rasbora are only known to live in that one area, and it's just some runoff pool that doesn't even sound (to me) like a stable, permanent body of water. So, where did the fish come from? They either exist somwhere else, nearby!, or they evolved in the short period of time since that pool appeared. That's probably not a fully logical argument; I'm thinking as I type. But it's interesting!
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: