Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Guppy died, any suggestions? (Photo included)
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jon_The_Newb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.03(Sat)19:27    Post subject: Guppy died, any suggestions? (Photo included) Reply with quote

As you can see one our guppies died today =( Any ideas on what it might be, besides just an internal bacterial infection? She seemed to be swimming OK, if not a little slower, until this afternoon when I went to do the water change. When the water level dropped she freaked out and dove straight for the bottom, which she hit at full speed =( After a second quick burst down she floated back up and never moved again. She has been feeding normally.

I checked water paramaters this morning (before the water change), they appear OK. mid 7 pH, no ammonia, no nitrites, 20-40ppm nitrates. Pretty much the same as every time I check.

None of the other guppies (or SAE, Asian Glass Catfish, or Harlequin Rasbora) is showing any signs of a red spot like this lady, and while I think she looks a little bloated, our guppies have always looked fat. We've had this one for over a year, and atleast 8 of her daughters for 6-8 months. I thought her top lip looked a little red, and you can see a little extra buldge on the rear of her underside. Beyond those I see no other problems. Her scales seem OK to me, but my wife thought they were protruding a little. No fungus that I could see anywhere.

Jon
PreppyStudMuffin
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.03(Sat)19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it died from shock. You said she freaked out when you did the water change, so maybe she died from shock, or the impact when she dove straight down. The guppy looks very pregnate to me by the dark spot in her rear, so I don't think she died of bloat. It also looks like it had internal bleeding.

10 gallon w/ 3 Guppies, and 23 tiny fry
4 Betta tanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jon_The_Newb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.03(Sat)20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 99.9% sure shes wasn't pregnant. We seperated our male and female guppies about 8 months ago. We had a couple fry show up for a little while after that but we haven't seen any in the past 3-4 months.

I agree I think the shock probably did her in, but the red spot and the little extra bloat are what concern me and my wife. I don't see anything similar on the others, but I think she went from normal looking to that pretty quick. I usually spend more time doing visual checks on the fish on the weekend, and I don't recall seeing any red on her last weekend, unless I kept seeing her "sister" (we had two that were orange/yellow like that).

Jon
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: