Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Public aquarium internship (and shark feeding!)
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Catfishy
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.02(Fri)13:41    Post subject: Public aquarium internship (and shark feeding!) Reply with quote

I recently started an internship at a small (but good) public aquarium near where I go to school. It's very cool, because not only do I get school credit for it (read, one less class to take), I'm learning a lot and having fun. It's kind of interesting because all my personal experience so far has been in keeping freshwater tanks, and all the creatures in this aquarium are marine. Well, that's cool because I've been wanting to get into marine tanks and reefkeeping for a while now, and what better way to learn? I did work in an LFS for a summer, though...learned a lot about dealing with people that way.
Anyway, probably the coolest thing I get to do in this internship is help feed the sharks!
Anyone else have similar cool experiences?
fiffy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.02(Fri)16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to school for marine biology. A few years later I got layed off from the job I was working at and applied at the local aquarium. Thier basic responce was that I was to qualified for them and they didn't want to pay for someone who know what they were talking about. Instead they hire teenages off the street who couldn't even keep a goldfish alive on thier own. =/
So naturally I'm very jelous of you right now. Wink
Have a lot of fun while your working, and obsorbe as much informatoin as you can.
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.02(Fri)19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

The local aquarium told you you were too qualified??? Must not have been a very good aquarium...for the past two days I've been seeing the staff interview candidates for a permanent aquarist position. These were all-day interviews that involved extensive testing of knowledge and a mandatory presentation in front of the shark tank...with six or seven people with clipboards taking notes. It seemed really stressful.
Also, I've decided I really really like the striped burrfish!
Anyway, good luck with finding a marine biology-related job.
fiffy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.02(Fri)19:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol I gave up on that a long time ago. only 1% of every gratuating class actually gets a job in the field. and for those who aren't up on their math, thats a fairly BAD average. LOL
Well, its the only aquarium in the area that I know if. The only other one is in a REALLY bad area...as in worse then DC bad. Way to much crime. So I dunno how bad it is. It is kinda small, but its on the boardwalk so space is limited.
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.02(Fri)19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't know how long I'll be working in the aquarium industry, but I'm hoping they'll at least offer me a temp position after my internship is finished (and then I'll have something to do when I graduate...)
Here is the striped burrfish: http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=256
I WANT. So cute, such fun personality, so fun to feed.
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: