Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Python - Water Change Question
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
bawigga
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)20:15    Post subject: Python - Water Change Question Reply with quote

So I used to store water in left over plastic milk jugs and drop a drop of water conditioner in them, then what it was time for a water change just use those. However I just invested in a Python, and I'm wondering, can I really just add tap water to the tank and then add in the conditioner drops afterwards?

I've done it twice with no problems so far, but is this a safe way to change out water?
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)20:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's safest to add the conditioner as you start adding the new water rather than when you're done, so that the chlorine has less time to hurt your fish and bacterial colony. Lots of the pros here use pythons, hopefully you'll get more replies. I want to be sure I'm doing it right too!
menagerie mom
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you add the tap water directly to the tank with your Python. I add the declorinator at the same time the water is flowing in, partly for the reason ceci cited, but also because I think the current created by the water flowing in mixes the declorinator in more quickly.

Pythons are a great invention!
bawigga
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.02(Fri)10:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I thought. Thanks for the responses guys!
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.02(Fri)11:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few things you need to remember:

1. Use the conditioner dosage for the whole tank, not just the amount of water you replace.
2. Matching the temp of new water and tank water. I cracked my 55g tank by adding too much cold water too quickly in the tank. Embarassed I wife said I did that so I could replace it with my 125 g tank.
3. Matching the pH of new water and tank water. If you have too much difference pH between tap water and tank water, you will stress out your fish for sure.

That's some of the reasons people have a container to hold the water and treat it first there.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: