Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Can a tank be Over filtered? And is Silica sand harmful?
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
paper spider
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)16:21    Post subject: Can a tank be Over filtered? And is Silica sand harmful? Reply with quote

Okay, I currently have a 50 gallon. I want to get a 125 gallon.

But this week I want to replace my filtering system. Upgrading from 2 Emperor 280s to a Rena Filstar XP. I want to get the XP3 or XP4. I plan to run it on the 50 gallon until getting the 125. Would a filter meant for tanks much larger harm the balance in any way?

And I am going to replace my gravel bed with sand. I can't seem to find white/ crean/ light sand in aqaurium stores (if you have links please send), so I guess I will get something at the local Home Depot. Anyway, silica sand looks the best. But silica is known to cause issues in humans. Is it harmful to fish in anyway?

Thanks for any help!
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

A larger filter can usually be a very good choice. However, you don't want to blow your fish around so there is definately a point where a filter is too large for a tank.

Pool filter sand is considered a good choice. Do a search at the top of this page using "silica" and see what you find.
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.02(Fri)0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well having a bigger filter is better then having a too small filter IMO. It won't effect the balance (well it shouldn't, there aren't any reasons that I can think of that it would). You will have better water quality and cleaner water if you have the next model up with a filter.

The only problem is the additional cirrculation, which might be too much for a smaller tank. But this really depends on the what fish you have, if your tank is planted and how mant ornaments it has, and also the difference in power between the model reccommended for your tank and the next one up.

As for the sand, well I have marine sand for my reef tank, but I wouldn't try that in freshwater.
msta
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.02(Fri)16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

depending on the location of inlet/outlet, is there a chance that the larger filter could stir up the sand bed?
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.02(Fri)17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - I've heard others say they had their intake too close to the bottom of the tank and it did pull up the sand. Adjust the intake accordingly. Outputs should be at the top of the tank so, unless you have a really high outflow or powerheads, you shouldn't see a problem with that and sand.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: