Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
South American Dwarf Ciclids
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
hedgelj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)9:08    Post subject: South American Dwarf Ciclids Reply with quote

I'm looking for some South American Dwarf ciclids for my 30 gallon tank.

I have looked through the gallery but are there some sites with a little more specific information? Also for the apisto cacatouidies (sp?) some of the information in the gallery says 1 male to 1 female, others says 1 male to 2 females? I love their colors, and am leaning towards them unless there is an equally colorful, interesting option. I think my LFS only sells them as mated pairs when they get them in....What should I look for?

Also, these fish will be the centerpiece fish of my community (slightly S. American themed) tank. The tank will be moderately to heavily planted, with driftwood and I use peat for the water softening and acidifying properties as well as for the tannin release into my water.
Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

A mated pair would be great. The reason most folks recommend 1male/2females is that the fish will work out who will be the 'mated' pair. Then the pair will stay united 'against' that odd female out. She will be the 'target' fish, so when spawning occurs that target fish keep the pair focused on the job they need to do.

If you have a mated pair, just add some dither fish and you are good to go. I usually don't like the 1male/2female thing because there are times when that odd female gets picked on way to much. I don't have the stomach to watch it, so I usually remove them anyway. When it is merely a bit of chasing here and there, then I don' t worry about it. I provide lots of hiding places, and when the spawning is over, they all go back to getting along better.

Cathy
hedgelj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cathy,
Thanks for your thoughts. I'm not really set on trying to get them to spawn, if they do great, if not I won't be heartbroken. I just love their colors and they will make a great centerpiece fish for my tank.

Any suggestions on websites for feeding, and preferred foods and such? That and I am still looing for thoughts between german blue rams and apistos, or is it more a personal preference thing? If my bioload will handle it is a 30 gallon enough room for a pair of each? I try to keep my tanks bioload and plant stocking to keep the nitrates at an acceptable 10-20 ppm
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: