Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
convict cichlid tank mates
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jessdober
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.31(Wed)20:15    Post subject: convict cichlid tank mates Reply with quote

I got my first convict cichlid about a week ago. I am just wondering about the care of this fish. its in a ten gallon tank by its self. what kinds of fish can live with this fish? will it eat feeder fish? thanks for your help.
Psyfalcon
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

None.

While a convict will live in a 10 gallon pretty well, they make OK, but a bit spooky wet pets. It WILL kill any other fish in with it. A 20 gallon would be a better tank if you can afford it.

They will eat small feeder fish, although this is to be avoided, since it can introduce disease.
PeterIreland
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)7:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your tank is a too small but provided you get a bigger tank they will happily share a tank with Jack Dempsey, Jewel Cichlids, Large Plecs.

I have 4 convicts sharing a tank with a the above & a Parrotfish (Not my choice, he was rescued from a friends tank, starting trouble with a breeding pair of Severums, had to be moved or die!!!!) & 2 Botia Modesta & 4/5 Bristlenose Cats.

Plenty of caves and pots in the tank and rocks breaking up the line of sight between them (Very Important IMO).
jessdober
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks for the advise guys. I am pretty sure my fish is a female because she hase some orange on her sides. shes only about 2 inches right now. how fast do these fish grow? what is the mature size? thanks again.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: