Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
ich treatment--does it work?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Mormegil
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)10:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to point out, that you need to hit 86 degrees farenheit for it to be effective at stopping the Ich. Otherwise, you just speed up the life cycle, with no detrimental effects on the Ich, and kill your fish faster.

That's probably why it's best to raise the temp 2 degrees F / hour, instead of per day. Otherwise, on the days before you hit the temp, the fish keep getting reinfected.

And as far as what salt does. Microscopic creatures tend to be very sensitive to salt concentrations. The difference in salt concentrations inside a cell and it's environment is critical to the survival of the cell. Too much of a difference from what it's adapted to will kill it. That goes for microbes/parasites, and fish cells (and your cells).

The difference is, higher organisms have blood and bodily fluids that are kept at a specific salinity (humans/ mammals are kept at 150 mM). And our bodies can regulate (to a point) the salinity from external water sources.

Parasites/microbes on the other hand, don't have blood, and are in direct contact with the environmental water (no skin / scales). So they can't really adjust.

So in the case of a freshwater parasite going into slightly saltier water, expect the osmotic balance to force water out of the bug, drying it out like a raisin (since it's saltier outside the cell, it's like being "waterier" inside the cell, so water leaks out until salt/water concentrations are equal).
cherrybarb06
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody. I've started the treatment and hopefully my fish will be healthy soon Smile . I'm looking forward to seeing their true personalities since they've been acting weird (I'm assuming they'd already gotten Ich when I bought them Confused ) since I put them in the tank.
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! And now I know why the salt. Thanks, Mormegil. That made perfect sense.

Good luck, cherrybarb!
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: