Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
ich treatment--does it work?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
cherrybarb06
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.31(Wed)19:11    Post subject: ich treatment--does it work? Reply with quote

Well, my fish have ich Sad . I was on the internet looking for info on how to get rid of it and someone recommended that I read the article on this website about using heat to cure Ich. So I read it and then did more research and found that some people think its dangerous Shocked . In your experience does the heat treatment work? Is it dangerous for your fish? Any other treatment suggestions Question
Angela G.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.31(Wed)19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that the heat method works very well. You just have to do it slowly. In other words you don't want to crank your heater up to 85

Last edited by Angela G. on 2007.02.01(Thu)19:35; edited 1 time in total
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.31(Wed)19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried treating ich with meds and all but one of my fish died.

I saved him by stopping the meds and switching to heat.

Heat alone may not be enough, though. The articles on this site also recommend salt treatment. I used this (the bath method) and the remaining fish is still alive, very happy, and quite healthy. : )
cherrybarb06
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.31(Wed)20:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think my fish (cherry barbs) would do good with salt but I don't really know. What exactly does the salt do? In the article it said to raise the temperature 3degrees F every hour not everyday. Is this okay or is it too drastic?
Angela G.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.31(Wed)23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

cherrybarb06 wrote:
I don't think my fish (cherry barbs) would do good with salt but I don't really know. What exactly does the salt do? In the article it said to raise the temperature 3degrees F every hour not everyday. Is this okay or is it too drastic?

Sorry I may have misread or mis typed...that's what I get for posting on 3 hours sleep Razz
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.31(Wed)23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, but I thought the whole point of raising the temp was to speed up the life cycle of the parasite, so that the meds could kill it faster? (They can only be killed with meds in their free swimming stage)
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

It absolutely works! My fish all survived it, I didn't lose one, and they stayed hungry and fiesty the whole time.

The temperature raise is no faster than a couple of degrees F every HOUR. Same with lowering it at the end of the treatment.

I didn't add salt to my tank -- that part is optional. I'm not sure how it works but yeah, you have to be careful as salt is really bad for some species of fish.

flame_angel: it does speed up the life cycle, but also (and this is the important part!) it keeps the ich from breeding. So. not only do they get old and die faster, they don't make any baby ich and once they're all gone, they're extinct so to speak.
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)1:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooohhhhhh.
OK, thanks ceci Very Happy
hedgelj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)8:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you are getting some good advice. I have used the heat treatment with much more success then anytime I've used meds. I don't know about the salt treatment, and could suggest that it makes the fish secrete a larger slimecoat which would inhibit the attachment of the ich parasite but that is just off the top of my head. But add an airstone as you increase the tank temperature b/c as water temperature goes up, amount of dissolved oxygen goes down.
hedgelj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)8:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedgelj wrote:
I don't know about the salt treatment, and could suggest that it makes the fish secrete a larger slimecoat which would inhibit the attachment of the ich parasite but that is just off the top of my head.

OK so I was wrong. The article says the salt affects the fluid regulation of the Ich parasite, that makes sense and I can understand that.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: