Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
bottom feeder suggestion
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
joitoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.31(Wed)17:34    Post subject: bottom feeder suggestion Reply with quote

I've noticed that my glowlights pick up most food long before it hits the gravel, but some still gets by. I cut back on feeding but no matter how much, some still gets to the gravel. I've been interested in buying cories already but I want to know what type I can get that won't grow very large, so I can have a school of 4-6, and what type don't need a lot of plant coverage since mine are still babies.

If not cories, is there anything else that stirs the gravel and eats sinking food?
underOATH87
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.31(Wed)17:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

plecos and catfish I believe.

Myspace Mobsters Forum: www.mademen.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
Bryon
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.31(Wed)18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big is the tank? I kept Peppered Cory Cats with no problems at all. IMO they are the hardiest Cory you can get.
brett_fishman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.31(Wed)18:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

what size tank?
what kinda filter?
what kinda fish do you have other than the tetras?

I recommend corys for smaller tanks (sub-30g) and small botia loaches for larger tanks (over 30g)

-brett.
1 yoyo loach [going to 75]
mataderek
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.31(Wed)21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha corys are very cool fish and they clean the bottom quite well, they are also quite cute to watch swim up and down and all around
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
joitoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.31(Wed)21:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

75 gallons, 2 tetra power filters of 30-60 gallon combined 660 gallons an hour filtration

I'm not fond of plecos merely over looks, but cories are adorable and much smaller, plus very personable when in schools I'm told as opposed to only housing one monstrous growing pleco Shocked

2 platies (1 male 1 female)
2 giant danio
2 glowlight tetra

I'm aware these are schooling fish and plan to buy 2-3 more danio as well as 5 more tetra, the platy I may move to the 10 gallon that my betta is in all alone, although I wuold have liked to put a bottom feeder in his tank instead since he is such a sloppy and inconsistent eater.

This is what I was planning for overall to go in the tank but I am at a loss for whether there is any sort of bottom feeder that will remain small and not grow so large I will have to put it in an outside pond.
4 female blue cobra guppy, 2 male
2 gold dojo loach
6 glowlight tetra
4 giant danio
5-6 bosemani rainbow fish or 5 praecox
2 blue paradise gourami
3 freshwater clams
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.31(Wed)22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cories are just wonderful little fish and I'd recommend them to anyone. I personally keep bronzes, which are inexpensive and easy to find. The albino variety can be easier to see in a natural tank if you like that. They're really hardy and very easy to please; special requirements are just some vegetables in their diet (algae wafers and occasional fresh) and a cave to call their own. (I only had small caves here, so I put in two for my school of cories... and they all pile on top of each other like puppies in just one, leaving the other empty! They're so funny. Very Happy)

I would think you could keep a great-sized school in a 75G tank, but I'll leave the actual numbers to fit into your stocking plan to those with more experience with big tanks. My biggest is a 35G. Smile
joitoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.31(Wed)22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to get some pvc pipes which I saw were popular for those guys.

I was reading that albinos are sensitive to the light and need a lot of coverage, I don't have that yet, mine are still growing, and I don't know if I will find all the plants I need at petco tomorrow. Last time I went there, about 5 months ago, the plant collection was pitiful.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: