Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
5 gal tank.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
fishy guy
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.31(Wed)15:51    Post subject: 5 gal tank. Reply with quote

I was thnking about making a 5 gal. planted tank. this is what I wanted to put in it......

-small african drift wood
- 3-4 tiger or rainbow shrimp
- a few tetras or dwarf puffers
- some java moss for on the wood
-dwarf hairgrass to make a carpet
-1 anubias nana
-a sponge filter
-a small cheap heater
-don't know for the light but I want kind or low to make it a little dark

feel free to add or subtract things
thnx in advance
deborah_claro
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.31(Wed)16:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, fishy. Your set-up sounds pretty good so far. I think any Caridina species shrimp, that stays at about 1" or 2.5 cm, would be fine in your set-up. Caridina sp. "tiger" can get a little bigger so keep only 3.
If by rainbow you mean the rainbow midget, Caridina cf. babaulti, they are supposed to stay small at 1/2", but I have not kept them. Maybe Dusko knows. There are quite a few freshwater shrimps in the hobby.

As for fish, you will not be able to keep more than one dwarf puffer in a 5 gallon tank. The tetras are a better choice. Choose one of the smaller species, such as the pristella tetra (Pristella maxillaris) or the neon tetra (Paracheirodon innesi) and keep about 5 -7 members of one species.

As far as a small cheap-ish heater, there's a very good one made by Tetra and sold at Wal-Mart. It's the Whisper pre-set thermostat model, for 2 - 15 gallon tanks. I've been using one in a 3 gallon holding bucket and it's fine - holds the temperature beautifully, and it only costs US $13.
Hope this is a good price for you; if your heater is too cheap, it will break, and then overheat and cook your fish.
I'm sure other members will come by with more tips for you.
Good luck with your new tank.
Very Happy
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.31(Wed)18:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the thoughts of only 1 Dwarf Puffer. While most places will way they need 2-3 gallon a fish, there's just not enough room for more than one Puffer in a 5 gallon tank. Some DP's will eat shrimp too. The only thing that can go with them are Otocinclus cats but people HAVE kept them with shrimp, its just a crap shoot on if it works or not. As far as a heater I would use a visitherm 25 watt. I have one in my 1.5 gallon betta tank and it doesn't overheat my tank at all and I'm sure it will work great in your 5 gallon.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: