Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Heater placement screwing up temp?
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Mormegil
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.31(Wed)15:31    Post subject: Heater placement screwing up temp? Reply with quote

I'm on my 3rd heater here.

Background info: I'm fishless cycling now. The tank is a 10 gallon running a UGF (via Aqua Clear Power Head) and an Tetra Whisper In Tank 10i Power Filter.

First one, I cheaped out and got a Top Fin, but that couldn't get my tank hot enough in case of ich (wouldn't break 87 - and I'd like to be able to hit 89 in a pinch).

So I returned it and got a Rena Top Light Excel (figured if it cost almost twice as much, it should be good). That had a calibrated thermostat on it. But no matter what I would set it to, it would stay on (evidenced by the light), and my temps would hit 87-88. So I returned that.

Now I have a Visi-therm Stealth. But when I set the temp to 82 (or 84), I end up with about 87 in the morning.

I'm putting the heater about 4-5 inches from the outlet of the Power Head, so it's getting a lot of water flow. Could that be the problem? Sort of a water-wind chill factor? The thing is, I put my thermometer right next to it, and keep reading high (so it's not cold water flowing passed).

They are all fully submersible, and I've fully submerged them, or kept the top above water (but not passed the minimum water line), tried it angled, horizontal and vertical. I've also checked my thermometer, and it's fine.

I unplugged the heater last night, and this morning the temp was at 77. So it's definately the heater.

I've tried setting the heater to 75, and seeing what happens when I get home tonight.

Am I just extremely unlucky, getting 3 bum heaters? Or is my tank set up wrong.
DF Bobo
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.31(Wed)15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

putting the heat beside the power head will circulate the heat and heat the whole tank, not magnify the heat. the top fin filters are quite cheap and from what I can tell, not very good quality. the rena ones I don't know, and the visi-therm ones seem to be pretty good. could be that you got 3 bad heaters, but it doesn't seem too likely. ry placing them somewhere else and see what the temp is when you get back and see if it's 75.

hedgelj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.31(Wed)18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a thought. When you put the heater in, make sure you let it set in the water for approximately 20 minutes or so to equalize to the temp of the water. I've had better success with that method for my heaters actually running to their calibrated temperatures. Beyond that you actually have me stumped, sorry.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)4:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always put my heater horizontal, that way the whole of the element is used to heat water, rather than just heating up the top of the heater, and causing the theromstat to cut in early.

I put them at least 2/3rds of the way down the tank, so I can never accidently leave them running dry whilst doing normal water changes.

If you imagine the two large lines below are the top and bottom of my tank, the broken line is where my heater goes:

--------------------------

Cheap heaters aren't a good idea, they have a lot of thermostat problems, I go for Vistherms, they only cost a little bit more (Sometimes cheaper depending on where you buy them from), they cover a higher range of temps than most, and they also come with a five year guarentee.

Bob
Mormegil
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my current one is a Visitherm. But I've found in order to say get 82, I need to set it to 77.

I think I'll try setting it in a different spot, as suggested, and see where the temp goes.
TolkienGeek
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)12:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that numbers on the dials of heaters aren't very accurate. You just have to fiddle with it and use your thermometer. Unfortunately, its a bit of a guessing game, but once set most quality heater hold that temperature well. Cheapos are all over the place.

I hope this helps, Black Sword. You a fan of the Silmarillion too?

"Would you eat poo?" - Said the Corydoras catfish...
Mormegil
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

TolkienGeek wrote:

I hope this helps, Black Sword. You a fan of the Silmarillion too?

Got me there .

Master of Fate, by Fate Mastered
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: