Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
All of My 10 fish died...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
PreppyStudMuffin
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what I should do though. My mom and dad don't know all my fish are dead yet, because they barely come in my room, and my 10 gal tank sits on my desk, it takes my whole desk up actually haha.

When I had the heater, I had to turn it off and back on like 2 or 3 times a day to prevent overheating and udnerheating. The heater doesn't have the temperature like to set it at a specific temperature, it only has high and low, and when I set it on the lowest, the water was still hot.

I might just go with cold water fish if my parents let me. My parents arent that strict, but they're just against pets period. Is it only asian parents? Rolling Eyes

So I've done research and the only cold water fish are like Gold fish and Minnows. Are there any other type of coldwater fish I could get?

And yeah, I put my fish in a tiny ziploc bag and buried them outside in my backyard, I don't want bugs or anything to get to them.

When I told my friends at school what happened, they all laughed, and I was serious. I don't think they know what it feels like to lose fish. Its pretty sad.

10 gallon w/ 3 Guppies, and 23 tiny fry
4 Betta tanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's so weird about the heater. All I can say is make sure the next one has temperature gradations. There's no reason a heater rated for a 10G tank can't keep a 10G tank at a steady, healthy temp. You should have taken that thing back and demanded an exchange!

No comment on the Asian parents, hehehe. I think the best way to go with any parent though is honest. Be mature and hopefully they'll treat you maturely. That was NOT a properly working heater, so if you tell them what happened and tell them about the research you've done -- good quality heater for a GREAT price at the link Cathy gave you -- you'll come off as responsible, and that's your best bet.

I did a few quick searches and only got a short list besides the goldfish and minnows: hillstream loach, weather loach, three-spined stickleback, northern redbelly dace, rainbow darter, bullhead, and sunfish. And none of those are appropriate for a 10G tank. So if you want to go true coldwater, minnows are your only choice. They're pretty though! Shiny.

Just thought I'd mention, too, my search turned up several pages that list guppy temp preferences as low as 64 or 68F, the warmer recommendations were 72 as a low -- depending on what the room temp is in your house they're probably okay without a heater -- as long as your tank temperature is STABLE. That's more important to fish.
PreppyStudMuffin
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)14:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, I can keep guppies in room temp? My house's temperature reads 72, so do you think I could keep guppies in my 10 gallon tank then? How much should I put in my empty tank?

4 Betta tanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)14:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about 2 males and 4 females?

Are you sure your house temperature is pretty stable? Not 72 in the day and 62 at night or anything like that?
PreppyStudMuffin
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mom just got home and told her about everything, and at first she went off yelling at me about all the money I wasted, which was just about 20 dollars on my dead fish, I told her about my unstable heater and so now she's letting me restock my tank!

Very Happy I'm so happy right now, She just told me not to tell my dad, which I definitely won't.

She's putting me on a pretty low budget but I was thinking a stocking plan something like this:

A dwarf gourami (My friend's giving me his after I told him what happened)

A couple Otos
A couple cory cats
And some type of schooling fish, but I don't want it to be too pricy.

Do you think I could add them all at the same time because my tank is already established when I get them?

4 Betta tanks
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!! I'm glad your mom was cool with you. Smile

I think you ought to go slow on them, and I also think you're planning on overstocking a bit. If I were you, I'd choose one or the other of the bottom fish, but not both. As for schooling fish, go with neons since they're the smallest because even that is something of a crowd in a 10G.

After all you've been through, you want these new fish to be as happy and healthy as possible. A gourami is so pretty and showy, it will 'fill' that tank, don't worry. Smile
PreppyStudMuffin
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)16:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info ceci. Very Happy

Yeah I do tend to overstock my tanks like mad, haha, so how does this sound:

3-4 Corie cats
1 Dwarf Gourami
6-8 neon tetras

Would that be overstocked?

4 Betta tanks
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone with live plants, a good filter, and great water maintenance could get away with it, so it's not a definite no.

But I wouldn't do it. There are always those weeks you just can't around to it or something odd happens... and the more you're overstocked, the more your fish suffer at any little dip in care, you know?

I would do:

3 pygmy cories
5 neons
1 dwarf gourami

If you can't find pygmy cories, you could get bigger ones, but then you should probably get rid of the neons entirely. If your cories are happy, they're likely to spend more time playing in the open spaces of the tank than hiding so you won't miss the tetras as much.

I have to go to a friend's house and babysit now, will be back on later to chat more. Smile Good luck, and congratulations again!
PreppyStudMuffin
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)16:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks for all your help Ceci!

I'm definitely going to stick to your advice.

I think the smallest cories that are on my budget are the brozne cories, but it;s called Green Cory. It gets up to 2 inches I think.

My friend just dropped off his dwarf Gourami, and it seems really happy in my tank.

My tank is moderately planted with a rock cave for my cories I had, and has a stack of rocks for when my guppies were pregnate, Iwas using it to provide shelter for the fry.

4 Betta tanks
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bronzes are great. They're the kind I have and I really, really like 'em. But they're so short and squat, the 2 inches they get to as adults is a really big fish for a 5G, trust me! So, no neons then, OK? And post pictures of your new dwarf gourami! They are sooo pretty. I almost got one of those, too when I was first stocking.

P.S. I like your new avatar! She's pretty. Smile
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: