Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
All of My 10 fish died...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
PreppyStudMuffin
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)5:25    Post subject: All of My 10 fish died... Reply with quote

I am so sad right now because I woke up this morning to get ready for school, and I usually feed my fish every morning, but I see guppies lying on the gravel and my otos on their backs. And I see my cories not moving at all.

I think the problem was is because I left the heater on too long. I left it on before I went to bed, so it was on for about 7-8 hours, but it's a 10 gallon heater from top fin. If you go to petsmart and look at the Top fin heater, it doesn't have many stars, and has bad reviews, but it's the only heater I got and it worked well for 3 weeks. The heater was on it's lowest setting too, but this morning when I stuck my hand in the water, it was pretty warm.

I never knew a heater could kill fish, I thought they were good. The fish that died were:

2 Male Fancy guppies (Sunburst and Blake)
4 Female Guppies (LB, Ellen, Misty, Sundra)
2 Otos
2 Green cory catfish

And all my female guppies were very pregnate and their bellies were humungus, but they died.

I just wanted to post this to let other people know in advance. My day at school is going to be horrible now.

10 gallon w/ 3 Guppies, and 23 tiny fry
4 Betta tanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)6:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preppy - so sorry to hear about this! Do you have a thermometer? They don't cost much, only a couple of bucks and are necessary equipment, even my expensive Visatherm Stealth heater overheats the water at times. (Well, I think I must bump it or something...)

You should probably get a better heater, and since you don't have any fish depending on you right now, get one online. Here is a link to one of the best - and it is on sale right now.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=12060&N=2004+113767

You might also check Big Al's Online, its another site which has great deals on aquarium equipment.

After all your work to get your tank cycled, be sure to keep sprinkling fish food in it every day. This will help your bacteria stay alive. When you are ready to buy fish again, start slowly.

I hope your week gets better, sorry mate.
Cathy
PreppyStudMuffin
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)7:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Cathy. Are there any good heaters at petsmart.com? My mom is against buying stuff through online 100%, but my mom would take me to petsmart that's like 10 minutes away.

I think my parents are going to make me take my fish tank down, since all my fish died they probably won't be supportive of starting my new tank back up. They are going to freak once I tell them my fish all died.

4 Betta tanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)7:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so sorry to hear that. I've had a cheap heater overheat once, too, but fortunately I caught it before the temperature jumped too high. Sorry for your loss. Crying or Very sad Hopefully your parents are willing to cut you some slack.
Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)8:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Preppy - tell your parents that this hobby is better than doing drugs...!
That your extra money will go to fish, etc instead of pot. Cool

Cathy
I'll go check out the Petsmart site but my guess is that everything will be so overpriced. I went to one of the better lfs's the other day to pick up the heater I was telling you about. They wanted - get this - $35.99. The same great heater is at the link above for $14.99...

Be back later with my report, I have to get to work now...
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)8:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your fish Joey.

And I hope your parents let you re-stock (Or get a larger tank).

What I would do is go back into your profile, and re-read all your posts and the replies. You may learn something from this.

Bob
newbury_ian
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really sorry to hear about your bad luck!! Sad I really hope this doesn't mean the end of your Fish Keeping. Maybe you should tell everyone your address so we can all taunt your parents until they allow you to replace your fish!!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Only kidding!!!!!

I really do hope though that you are able to start again. I guess in this life we all just have to live and learn. If there are any lessons to be learned from this then I hope they have been! Very Happy
PreppyStudMuffin
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)9:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've learned a lot from fishkeeping. I knew fishkeeping was pretty difficult for someone my age, but it seems like simple mistakes like not reading the thermometer before bed can lead to big disasters.

I'm going to bury the dead fish in my back yard when I get back from school, at my school we have lap tops so thats how I'm always on, haha.

But yeah, my parents were never supportive of me starting a tank, they hate pets in general, but the only reason they let me get a tank was because it doesn't shed fur or stink.

The thing is I promised my dad I wouldn't spend my money on anything else fish related instead of buying more food and filter cartridges.

I spent over 150 US dollars all on my 10 gallon tank, even though the tank only costed 9 dollars, everything else adds up fast.

4 Betta tanks
Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh this hobby can be very expensive. I just got back from Petsmart - they sell the Visitherm Stealth for $29. It's too bad your mom won't do the online thing, resistance to changes in the free market is futile...

I don't know anything about the Top Fin brand at Petsmart, so I can't help you there. You know, you could try keeping a cool water fish so you don't need a heater.

Cathy
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww, Joey. I'm so sorry. Sad All of them at once like that is harsh.

If your parents will let you keep trying, you could either get coldwater minnows... you could fit a good sized school of them in a 10G because they're small. Or you could get a new 10G heater. You shouldn't have to be turning it off and on like it sounds. You can just set it at 76 or whatever your fish require and leave it, with a glance now and then at the thermometer to make sure it's working alright.

Let us know what happens, OK?
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: