Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Need urgent help from experts - fish behaviour!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
fzthomas
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)3:08    Post subject: Need urgent help from experts - fish behaviour! Reply with quote

Hi all,

I need some urgent help regarding the behaviour of some of my fish in the last couple of days. First of all, my tank:
20G tank with lots of live plants
amonia 0 - nitrite 0 - nitrate +-10 - pH 7,2
temp. 23,5
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)4:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just about the hardest issue to track down, a few dead small fish, and a bit of odd behaviour, but not enough to pin down a cause.

Do you, or anyone else, use fly spray, furniture polish or air fresheners near the tank ?

Bob
fzthomas
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)4:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for comment. I know its still a little early to state anything, but thats just whats going on now.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the painting we did. But that was in the hall and my bedroom door remained closed almost all the time, so that I would smell the new paint to much myself. Can that be any cause?
The tank is in the corner of my room about 3 or 4 meters away from the door to the hall...
fzthomas
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.31(Wed)2:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again,
yesterday evening I noticed that one of my white clouds had a little fluff on the side of his body. doesn't look like ick or velvet, but just one white fluff like a snow flake or sth...

What could that be? I didn't find anything on the internet.

also: they again didn't eat for the 4th day in row.
Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.31(Wed)6:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'd do a 50% water change every other day until something shows up. Do a good gravel vac and clean the sides of the tank. The white fluff on the side could be bacterial infection, or it could be fungus which sets up in dead/damaged tissue - perhaps that fish just got injured. If you have an extra airstone, I'd add that too. (In case they are having a problem in their gill area that we can't see).

Did you add anything to the tank, plant or fish? Of the dead ones, are their gills swollen at all? Are they breathing harder?

Ideas could be - gill flukes, bacteria, beginning of ich, The water changes will reduce the amount of pathogens in the tank. Also, if you have some PraziPro - for gill flukes, I'd add it after the first big water change. If it is flukes you'll see improvement in 24 hours or less.

Cathy
fzthomas
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)2:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

sad to say, but all of the whiteclouds died over the last two days... at the other hand, the three albino corycats and the ancistrus are doing just fine (the corys even spawned yesterday). I really don't know what happend or what caused their death. Water is very good (zero amonia, zero nitrite, 10 nitrate, 7,2 pH), I change 30% every 2 weeks and use aquasafe, lots of healthy live plants, good working heater, filter and air pomp... Sad

I'll wait another two weeks and maybe then I will add a betta or something - because right now with only bottom dwellers, the aquarium looks a bit empty.

Cathy G -> I didn't see anything abnormal on the dead fish. No white spot, no fungus, no swollen gills, ... I noticed a few days ago that one white cloud had like a white fluff on his side, but that was seemed to be nothing, as I couldn't notice it anymore shortly after I made my post.
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)2:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not add anything until we can almost get a definate answer as to why your fish are dieing...don't want to drag more fish into this havoc and once the problem is fixed.
Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)7:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you should bump up your water changes to 30% at least per week. This is a good general tank maintenance habit to get into. (Many fish keepers do at least 1 %50 per week...)

Since it seemed to be all your white clouds, and they all seemed to die around the same time, I'd bet they had some internal infection/parasite that came into your tank with them. Or, maybe they were all older fish?

Anyway, step up your water changes and if you don't see anything develop on your cories, you should be OK. (I do recommend QT time for all new fish though...

Cathy
fzthomas
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.02(Fri)2:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnx for comments.
I'll do weekly 50% waterchanges from now on instead of 30% every two weeks.
I wasnt planning on adding any other fish until I'm 100% sure of what is going on. So far the corys and ancistrus are doing very fine. They are really active and eat their pellets and fresh vegetables like they always did.

Cathy G -> the white clouds were in the tank alrdy for a little more than 3 months. So I don't think its an infection or parasite that came with them - or it should have been a slow developing one.
Could it maybe be because of a certain plant in the aquarium? Here is what I got:
(they are all growing very nice and healthy)

3x Microsorum pteropus (Java Fern)
1x Microsorum pteropus 'Windelov' (Windelov Fern)
2x Cryptocoryne undulate (Alligator weed)
2x Elodea densa (Anacharis
Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.02.02(Fri)7:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, there are lots of internal protozoa which take their sweet time in killing a fish. I know 'cause I deal with blue rams. Many times those types of diseases show up after 4 months... and for no apparent reason the fish wastes away and dies.

If you bump up your temp a bit and keep up with your water changes and still see no sign of anything going on after a couple of weeks, I really think you are safe to add more fish. (Add an extra airstone or lower the water level to get more oxygen into the tank, the higher temps reduce oxygen levels). The reason I'm suggesting bumping up the temp, is that it will speed up a life cycle of both ich and bacteria infections, so if there is something which contaminated the tank, it should show up sooner. (In theory!)

I don't know tons about lots of plants, but have never heard of any plant being sold in this industry which would be toxic in any way to fish. I really don't think this is a problem. I also don't think any algae is a problem, unless it is that red kind which is e-coli? I believe and I've never heard of this stuff showing up in aquariums, just along polluted lake shores!

Sorry to lost your white clouds though. Hope things get better, it sounds like you are moving in a good direction to become a fish keeper not a fish haver.

Cathy
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: