Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Cories with pinkish mouth and short whiskers
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Lab_Rat
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)0:26    Post subject: Cories with pinkish mouth and short whiskers Reply with quote

I was wondering if I need to worry about my 3 cory aeneus. They seem to have shortened whiskers and their mouths are pinkish. I'm not sure what's wrong (if anything).

Tank Parameters:
0 Ammonia
0 Nitrite
20ppm Nitrate
pH=7.8-8.0
Weekly 20% water changes, treat with Prime
Eclipse filter

Inhabitants are 1 pearl gourami, 5 white skirt tetras, 3 white clouds, 2 cardinal tetras, 3 cory aeneus, 2 cory julii

I moved them from my 29 gallon which started leaking into a 20 gallon I had just finished cycling (good timing on the cycling) in December. Since I was going home for Christmas break I didn't start up a new 29 gallon until earlier this month. I'm still messing with decorations, hence it's not ready for fish yet. It's also why I have so many fish in the 20 gallon right now (I know it's overstocked, but I really didn't have much of a choice).

I stay on top of my water quality and the julii cories are fine, no pink mouths and normal whiskers. I can't figure out why the aeneus are looking pink (they're supposed to be the hardier of the two species). I'm thinking about moving them to a 10 gallon when it's done cycling (fishless), but I don't know if that will make a difference for their whiskers. The substrate is normal aquarium gravel. Any advice is appreciated.
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)1:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first guess would have to be the substrate.

I have heard that if it is not fine enough the cories will lose their whiskers trying to sift through it and such.

As for the pink mouths...well it could be the same thing.

Seeing as your water quality is fine, the only other thing I can think of is poor diet. (Lack of nutrients or something).

I have never kept cories so I am not sure, anyone else know what a good diet for these fish are?

What are you feeding them?
Lab_Rat
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)2:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feed Tetra Tropical flakes, along with algae wafers and shrimp pellets. I guess I don't understand why the aeneus would have the problem but not the julii...
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)2:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I'm guessing they don't get any of the flakes though.
They could do with some brine shrimp or bloodworms...could help.

Maybe the aeneus just have more sensitive whiskers or different nutriental needs then the juliis....

You should try and find out what they need in their diet, I'll let you know if I find anything.
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK
Just found some info.

Apparently they need a 'smooth sand or gravel substrate' because of their easily damaged barbels. (sounds like what we were discusing)

And in their diet they need flakes, pellots and frozen brine and blood worms.

So basically I think we were heading in the right direction....
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)7:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pink is an infection starting. If you can, change the substrate soon and get them started on a mild antibiotic like melafix with lots of water changes. Loss of barbels can easily be lethal to cories.
Lab_Rat
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)14:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have melafix, so I'll start dosing today, along with water changes. As far as removing the carbon from the filter, I have the eclipse system, so the carbon is not removable. Should I take the whole thing out and have no filter, or just leave it in? It's been in for about 3.5 weeks now, so is the carbon no longer active? I'll also look for a finer substrate. The stuff I have is typical aquarium gravel, not rough, but maybe too big for them. Thanks for all the info.
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't take the filter out. The only thing worse for those barbels at this point is dirty water! Sad I hope your cory makes it through...
Lab_Rat
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually found that two of the flossy filter cartridges from my whisper filter (that you put carbon into) would fit nicely where the eclipse cartridge was. I did about a 35% water change and added melafix and stability (just incase, don't want to upset the good bacteria). The melafix says to add 5mL/10 gallons every day for a week, then do a 25% water change. Is it OK to do a water change before that, like around day 4, or should I wait the whole week?
Bryon
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from Michigan and here it's VERY hard to get good Albino(bronze) Cory Cats. Most of the ones I see in stores don't have all there barbels as well as just don't look healthy. I've kept Cory Cats for years in tanks with normal spectra-stone substrate with no problems. I should mention though Peppered Cory Cats were the only ones I've kept.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: