Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My first ever tank!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
newbury_ian
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.29(Mon)7:58    Post subject: My first ever tank!! Reply with quote

Hello all!! Here are some pictures of my first ever tank. It was a Christmas present and it is a test bed before expanding into something bigger. It is a 10G Elite tank with Elite Stingray 10 filter. The plants are fake although maybe in the future would look to have a more natural planted tank. One step at a time though Laughing Laughing

This is my tank:

My Dwarf Guorami's:

Let me know what you think. I need to remove the backing and put it back on again and this will get done soon Very Happy
bluepixie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.29(Mon)9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

For plastic plants, they sure look great! I like the arrangement, nice and balanced. The dwarf gouramis are beautiful.

If you have any fluorescent lighting at all, some plants are easier to keep than you would expect -- anubias, java moss and java fern being the favourites, of course. Once you feel comfortable, you could probably add one or two of those real plants in just as an experiment. I've found that keeping a few hardy, low-light plants actually makes things easier rather than harder.

Off to a good start! Keep us updated. I'm curious to know what kind of bottom feeder you choose!
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.29(Mon)12:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - the tank looks great. That's one lucky Gourami.
I also agree that, when you feel you're ready, you could easily add a couple of live plants like Java Fern, Anubias and Java Moss. They do very well in lowlit tanks and help in keeping your water at it's best. Good luck.
PreppyStudMuffin
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.29(Mon)13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a nice looking tank, but I think you should add live plants. Those fake ones look real to me though , haha. And your dwarf gouramis look exactly like mine that I have.

10 gallon w/ 3 Guppies, and 23 tiny fry
4 Betta tanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bolivian Ramage
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.29(Mon)17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really NICE pick on starter fish! I'm really happy to see you didn't make noobie mistakes like adding a ridiculous amount of fish, or cramping potentially large fish into a small tank like 90% of starters usually try to do. You are guaranteed success if you follow all the tips from the pro's and be reasonable. I wouldnt add much more fish, maybe some cories would be nice? If you keep your tank in good condition expect to see those dwarves spawn in a bubble nest. Which is really cool, definitly take some pics dude.

Nice start!! The fake plants are fine,I wouldnt add any live plants if your lighting is incadescent (do they still use those these days??? LOL). In your case I would say to stick with keeping the fish happy for now and when you feel your ready for a challenge try adding java fern, cause its a whole new ball game if you want to keep real plants happy and and to keep your aquarium balanced (algae blooooooooooommmmssss Sad Sad ) Okay I'm rambling cya
Kit-Kat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.29(Mon)23:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see little tetras, or am I wrong? I can only see 2? How many do you have(if any)?
brett_fishman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.29(Mon)23:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

kit-kat,
I can see 5 in the first picture...

-brett.
1 yoyo loach [going to 75]
newbury_ian
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)2:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kit-Kat wrote:
I can see little tetras, or am I wrong? I can only see 2? How many do you have(if any)?

There are six Neon's in there currently. One tends to wonder off on his own though. I will have to try and take a couple more pictures because I have just added two Otocinclus to keep the bottom clean and control any algae build up. Very Happy

Thanks for all the positive comments and for the great advise on the real plants. I am really enjoying fishkeeping and I think now I will not add any more fish as I don't want to end up overstocking and I need to allow for fish growth. Very Happy
brett_fishman
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)13:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

just some info,
otos won't 'clean' the bottom per say...

they just eat the algae, but the won't eat any left over food..

-brett.
1 yoyo loach [going to 75]
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

and if you don't have algae yet (since it's such a new tank) your otos will be malnourished or could even starve to death. You should buy some algae wafers for them pronto! They also like to eat zucchini, romaine lettuce, spinach... Just don't leave that stuff in there for too long uneaten or it will rot and ruin your water quality.

I got that info from this website.

PS I really like your tank! Those are nice plants, and the rocks look great.
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: