Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Why can't Goldfish be kept with other species?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.14(Wed)5:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Bob. I keep gold fish but out in my pond with plenty of room for them to swim about. You would be amazed just how quick ( and big ) a gold fish grows. One of mine ( Ghost Koi ) was bought just a few years ago as a tiny little 2 inch fish, he's now about 14 inches long. Same with my comets and common goldfish, all bought as wee tiddlers and most nearly a foot long now. Even last years babies are getting on towards 3 - 4 inches.
~~~~~ <o))))>< ~~~~~ <o))))>< ~~~~~ <o))))>< ~~~~~ <o))))>< ~~~~~
Susan S.
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.14(Wed)7:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Said goldfish fish was rescued from a ten inch tank (hence the stunted growth - I suspect it will never reach full size now given it's lack of growth even with the larger tank). It's got a lot more room than it had before. I do realise even a 20 gallon is suboptimal for a comet - the plan is to build a pond for it if possible.

Goldfish size/longevity is an interesting issue - and I'm not in favour of deliberately stunting their growth - the dwarvish nature of mine was not my doing. But it's clear that even stunted fish can live long (but who know how happy) lives. The Guiness Book of Records holder for oldest goldfish (and others reported in the UK press) of forty something years are all heavily stunted standard goldies in the two-three inch size range. Although knowing the British press I don't know how reliable the information is!
My Dad's oldest and largest goldfish was a white comet that was bought when I was about six when his pond (in London, UK) was established, and died less than ten years ago (so must have been at least thirty). It was a petite five inches, a lot of which was tail. And there was no reason for it to be stunted as it was in a decent size heavily planted pond- 8 foot radius (three feet deep in the middle so it didn't freeze solid). None of my Grandad's fish (he had an even bigger pond) seemed to get much bigger. Maybe they were overcrowded, but it didn't seem like it.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.02.14(Wed)8:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

My remarks were not directed at you Susan, more of a general point for all Goldfish keepers.

However if you did move your Comet to a pond, chances are it could pick up some growth, but even with ponds, you do have to allow the fish room to grow.

90% of back garden ponds (The stuff sold in garden centers etc), are not really big enough for more than one or two Goldfish let alone Koi.

Bob
joitoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.14(Wed)8:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the advised size? We're planning to undertake a family pond project late summer here. I've read 1000 US per koi, all the way up to 5000US per koi. Shocked

My mother accidently bought us some black moors that I had to return. Everyone made me feel like the evil bad guy because I wouldn't let them stay Sad until I explained why, at least. Sort of thought the lil buggers were cute too.
JohnnyRebel
Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.23(Fri)3:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my goldfish in a pond along with quite a few swordtails and they get along just fine. There is room for everyone! I have witnessed a swordtail picking on a wound on one of my goldfish and now the wound is completely healed. The goldfish had it's tail up and head down and the swordtail was doing it's job. Pretty cool to watch this interaction between two species of fish. Johnny Very Happy
merboy
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.04.03(Tue)13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only reason goldfish don't do well in warm waters it is because of the lack of oxygen. this can be solved with heavy Aeration systems.And the intruduction of live plants in the tank.
I have a 25 gallon tank with 2 baby goldfish, a male betta,2 guppies 2 black mollies and 3 zebra danios at a 80 degree temperature. I have a great aeration system and the goldfish are doing great. by the time they become adults my other tropical fish will die of old age...an adult goldfish needs at least 10 gallons of water to thrive.
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.04.03(Tue)15:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had read that goldfish have very different dietary needs as far as protein content -- that they can't digest it because they have no true stomachs in their digestive tracts. That's why there's specialized goldfish food. And so someone's going to have an upset tummy and possibly unmet nutrient needs if you're feeding goldfish alongside tropicals.

It makes sense to me, but I know better than to take anything I read online as canon. What are the feelings here?
ITHURTZ
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.04.03(Tue)15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feed both goldfish and tropical flakes/pellets. Either way someones getting something
spikeyfish
New Members

PostPosted: 2008.05.14(Wed)15:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Marcos Avila"]First of all the question itself is wrong. Of course they can be kept with many other species. That's not the point...the point is that if you keep goldfish by themselves you avoid several issues that occur when mixing in other commonly available species without giving it too much thought. Some of these issues are...[quote]

AT LAST!!!!! SOMEONE WHO HAS RESEARCHED FISH BEFORE THEY HAVE BOUGHT THEM. I cannot believe what utter carp these poor fish have been going through - if only the RSPCF existed. Goldfish CAN be kept with other species but although they can withstand temperatures in a typically british pond in summer time of up to approx 28 degrees C they are in fact coldwater species. They are NOT for goodness sakes to be kept with tropical fish or in a tropical tank.

You CAN keep goldfish and black moores with each other, hill stream loaches/butterfly loaches, weather loaches, white cloud mountain minnows, minnows, albino xenopus toads if you're one of these people who like to take a risk with the nature of the wild as they grow the size of a man's fist eventually and their diet is preferably fish that will fit into its mouth, fancy white clouds are NOT tropical even though they have been bred to look like some kind of fancy tropical fish.

It is also possible to keep the brown armoured corydoras in coldwater quite happily coexisting for many years although the many other varieties are tropically suited without a doubt.

What disgusts me in goldfish sales is the MAN MADE CRUEL varieties that are sold. It has been written that where certain fancy goldfish have 'crowns' this is actually cancerous growth!! What the hell is going on here??

And those poor things that have bubbles of skin growing from out from under their eyes - Haven't you noticed how these fish have great difficulty in eating and getting around - they'll either die of starvation or metabolism related problems. What a miserable life.

If you research fish I'm sure you have found it very interesting that goldfish actually originated from the torpedo shaped variety - God/Nature made them this way - as intended for many many reasons as you will also find from your research and they were originally a green colour.
It is without doubt that this design of goldfish is the most dominent in health, power and strength.

If we stopped buying the cruel man made varieties, would it eventually stop people creating (- yes exciting new progressions in what mankind can manage to do but cruelty in creating) disability in fish??

Yes there are such species as Blind Cave fish who have diminished features compared to other fish but look at the facts - these fish have adapted to their surroundings and natural environment over many years of evolution. In comparison it is just not on that for fun and human interest that we create something that is probably terminally ill, can't feed, will have swim balance problems if its cheek is popped or swims almost upside down because of the way we humans made it.

I don't mean to sound patronising but guys please - do research about fish before you buy them - I know it's frustrating to do that in the beginning but if you care about them and this hobby long term you'll want them long term and the reward of seeing them happily mature Smile

Finally - (yes I know, sorry) this is the only bit of advice I will press is
Quote:
if you look after the water, the fish will look after themselves
. Please research water quality - a fish tank of inmates is, after all, a life support machine.

You play God here with living things. Thanks for reading my ramble
Barchef
Regulars

Location: It changed but I'm not telling you where silly children. :)

PostPosted: 2008.05.15(Thu)1:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weather loaches and goldfish are fine to mix fyi though, they live in the wild in very simmilar climates, and the loaches also get big.

My white clouds haven't been experiancing any hostility or illness.

These two species at least I can guarantee will mix with goldfish, for those wanting to establish a community type setting.

Overall though I agree with what you're saying, some manmade varieties are not cruel such as fantails, or shubukins (shubukins are my favorite, fantastic fin growth with the agility of a common goldfish), or comets but I loath the bubble eyes, what kind of twisted person would want to create such a mutated fish. Luckily none of my lfs or lps sell them!
 Forum Index > Goldfish, Koi and Ponds All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to: