Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
green water
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
joitoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.28(Sun)15:50    Post subject: green water Reply with quote

is there an inexpensive way to get rid of green water?

It isnt a thick cloud, its just the slightest, barest tint of green but I know if it is ignored it can only get worse.

Worse yet, it seems natural with this areas water. Fresh water into a ten gallon tank has this strange green tint.

All fish seem to do well, are thriving, glowlights are even getting FAT. Danios are as quirky and crazy as ever. doesn't seem to hurt them, just looks terrible to me.
Jon_The_Newb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.28(Sun)23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your price range for "inexpensive"? =D

The JBJ Submariner works great (it did for me anyway), it's an internal UV sterilizer. Marinedepot.com has the 5W for 59.99 and the 7W for 74.99. Not the cheapest add on to a tank, but if it really is green water, it should do the trick. If you think it's really in the drinking water, and going to be added back every time you do a water change, you might consider a bigger unit though, if you have a bigger tank (say 55G+). Or perhaps, after its cleaned up the main tank, fill a big bucket the day before a water change, and let the JBJ run in the bucket, killing off anything that might be in the new water.

Jon
joitoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell if it is in the water or not but I'm inclined to think it is. Whenever I run bath water in the main tub, it is NOT crystal clear. It looks more yellowish than anything. The fish have been in this water for going on 3 weeks and none have any gill burning, or show any sign of suffering. Plants are growing well. I don't -think- it is harmful, it just isn't very attractive. By inexpensive I was hoping there might be some kindof home cure.

Golly, looks like I'm going to spend my share of the tax return on hobby supplies. It makes me weep, but I am too much of a perfectionist to work so hard on water changes for the same result after it LOL.

Is there any way to tell what it is first before I spent 60+ dollars?

Looking closer at it, I'd have to say my tank looks a little more on the side of a cloudy yellowish white than it does green, when I look at it from an angle with the light behind it.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)14:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have bogwood or peat in your tank ?

Bob
joitoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, nothing extra, just the two filters.

I read somewhere that a boom of bacteria could cause off white clouds in water, is that true?
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most newly set up tanks go through a "Bacterial bloom", the water goes milky white, but this normally only happens once and clears after a day or two.

GW also starts as a milky white, but then turns green, and thickens up. If you get it bad, it can be difficult to see much more than an inch or two into the tank.

You mention your tap water has a yellowish tint, if so this could be your explanation. In a tank you add a tankfull of water, by the time of the next water change, some of it could have evaporated, leaving what is left in the tank, as a slightly more concentrated version of your tap water, if this continues over a few months, you would end up with enough of the "Pollutant" to make the water look much darker.

Do you have any active Carbon in your filter, if not try some, this stuff is great at getting dyes etc out of water.

I would aslo try a couple of 25% water changes in a week to see if this helps.

Don't buy a UV filter, unless it is GW.

Bob
joitoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing a 30% water change right now, and I'll do another one in 3 days. I think there is carbon in the filters but I'll slice them and add more, seems I need it.

Thank you
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbon needs replacing every few weeks otherwise it losses it's effectiveness.

Bob
joitoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crap, I wish I knew that. Do I need to replace the entire filter?

The filter I am running is a tetra powerfilter 30-60 gallons

one filter on each side, accompanied with a black mesh. Not sure what the black mesh is really for but I just followed the instructions and rinsed it and put it in there with the rest a while back when I first cycle.

I imagine my carbon has needed replacing for nearly 3-4 weeks now. Boy do I feel stupid. I'll pick up another compartment, or new filters asap. No wonder the water stopped running clear in my aquarium suddenly.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: