Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
guppy care
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
flyerfan
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.28(Sun)14:26    Post subject: guppy care Reply with quote

I was thinking about putting guppies in my 10 gallon. I have 3 tetras right now. Should I add aquarium salt for the guppies? Is it OK for the tetras?
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.28(Sun)14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't add salt. Guppies are a freshwater fish, they like hard water, but not salt.

Given that in the wild most Tetras prefer soft water and livebeares hard, they would not be a natural mix, but nowadays most fish are bred for the aquarium trade, and far more tolorant of differences in the water.

A ten gallon tank can only hold a limited amount of fish, most Tetras prefer to be in larger shoals than 3 so although it should be OK to mix Guppies and Tetras I would think about adding more Tetras and maybe something else.

Depending on the Tetra species you have, how about 5 Tetras and a Male Betta.

Guppies breed like mad (See post just below), so you either keep just males, or females (But the females could be pregnant when you buy them), the males are more colouful and smaller.

Bob
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: