Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Apple Snail Question
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Lab_Rat
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)23:33    Post subject: Apple Snail Question Reply with quote

What kind of care do snails require? I am thinking about getting one for either my 10 or 20 gallon and want to know what they need to be healthy. What do they eat, how much do they add to the bioload, are they compatible with most community fish? The guy at the fish store said that you don't need to figure snails into the bioload, but that doesn't sound right to me. Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
bluepixie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.28(Sun)7:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, the guy at your fish store was ... mmm, misinformed, let's say.

Apple snails are awesome -- really beautiful, and not that difficult to care for. They are also very, very messy. And whether or not they require good water quality is a matter of some debate. If you get the right kind (there are two commonly sold as mystery snails or apple snails, but very different in their plant-eating habits) you will have a snail that will clean up the dead and dying plant material in your tank but leave the healthy leaves alone.

Try http://www.applesnail.net for more info -- they're very thorough and have a great guide for doing things like identifying your kind of "mystery" snail, identifying your snail's sex, caring for your snail, breeding your snail... all things snail-related. Their forums are good, too, and I believe one of their sections is dedicated to plants and fish that are compatible with snails.
Osprey
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.29(Mon)7:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where water quality is concerned...
Apple snails do have specific requirements. They need to have hard, alkaline water. Without it, their shells dissolve and they develop cracks. If you have soft water, you would have to add some baking soda (to buffer the water to a higher pH), as well as a source of calcium and iodine for them to build their shells properly.
The site bluepixie listed is easily the most comprehensive and reliable source of apple snail information available on-line...well worth reading!
Lab_Rat
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the site, it's very informative! I think I'm going to hold off on getting a snail for now, but I may get one in the future. I especially like the purple mystery snails, they're so pretty.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: