Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Guppies flashing?
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
NakitiDL
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)20:25    Post subject: Guppies flashing? Reply with quote

Over the last few days, I have noticed some strange new behavior with my guppies. It started with my male about 2 or 3 days ago with him flashing against the gravel. He was the only fish affected, and I could see no outward signs of parasites, so I decided to let it be. He has continued doing it, and just now, I've noticed my worst case with all three guppies flashing and their fins tightly clamped. The strange thing is that I only notice this behavior at feeding times. Whenever I have watched the tank during the day, they have behaved perfectly normally.

The tank has been set up since 1/1/07. The only major changes I have made recently was the addition of 2 Cory cats last Friday, both of which have been doing fine since. The gravel is a fine gravel, and right now, the tank is very sparsely planted with one stalk of anarchis, and a few dying ferns of some type that I planned on removing with tomorrow's water change. There are no other decorations right now. Last Sunday I eyeballed a 30% water change, and before that, I changed the water accordingly during the tank's cycling period.

Full stock list:
3 Fancy Guppies
2 Corydoras

Water params:
Temp: 80
pH: 7.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: .25 (When I last tested on 1/20/07, the nitrite had been 0 for two days.)
Nitrate: 20

Is it possible I'm on the tail end of a mini-cycle after adding the corydoras that I failed to notice, and this is what's causing the flashing? I saw no other symptoms indicating any type of poisoning.
Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add 1TBLS salt per 10g's water. This will help them with the nitrites. It could be the nitrite bugging them, but I bet there is something else going on. Do a 50% water change and get the nitrates down to 10. Are you sure they don't act stressed like that ANY other time but feeding? Clamped fins any other time would indicate a couple of things off hand, first being gill flukes, second being ich.

PraziPro - praziquantel is the active ingredient - is the drug of choice for gill flukes. It is very very mild stuff. You can add 1 teaspoon per 20gs and after 2 days do a water change and dose again to get rid of newly hatched ones. If it is gill flukes, you will see a change within 24 hours. The stuff is amazing.

If ich however, its time to turn up the temps, add some salt and extra airstones. There is an article here about treating with heat, I also recommend using salt with the heat...

Keep us posted...good luck!
Cathy
NakitiDL
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)22:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep an eye on them tomorrow, but I'm almost positive the only time they're flashing is during feeding. I have seen no other signs of distress.

I know what ich looks like, but I have seen absolutely no sign of it on any of my fish. I just did a quick search on gill flukes, but the symptoms don't seem to match. Is there a more definitive way of knowing whether or not this is the problem before I try medication?
Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.28(Sun)9:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, only way to tell is by watching. Unless you have a microscope, want to catch one and take a scrapping from the gill plates...

Ich can and will kill without ever being seen. It can attack the gill membranes, go through its lifecycle without us being able to see the tell tale white spots.

Flukes kill fast too, they anchor themselves in the membranes and feed on the fish's tissue. Then lay massive amounts of eggs, which hatch and repeat the process. In the meantime, every place those hooks are located is subjected to potential bacterial infection.

In both of these cases, the fish have trouble getting oxygen. So, at least you could add an extra airstone now. You might also check with your city water company and find out if they have an metals in the water - that would also irritate your fish.

Are you using a slime coat product? If so, discontinue, that might be bugging them.

Cathy
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: