Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Cichlids for a 30 gal.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
fishy me
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)16:45    Post subject: Cichlids for a 30 gal. Reply with quote

I was flipping through a fish book today and came across some small cichlids. Does anyone know of any cichlids that can:

A) Live in a 30 gal.

B) Is colourful

C) Likes hard water

and if possible

D) Can live peacefully with other fish
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kribs (or kribensis)
I have kept them in a 30 gal for a long time. They are colourful and if you get a pair they will most likely breed.
They can be kept with other peaceful fish but are territorial so give them a place to call their own Very Happy
I'm not sure about if they like hard water or not though, don't think they do...

You could also try rams, never kept them but I have heard good things about them.

You could try firemouths, but they might get a bit too big.

Also, why do they need to be kept in hard water? Is it your water source or other fish you already have that need hard water?
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are loads of small Cichlids that will do well in a 30g tank, most Dwarf Cichlids, Kribs, Keyholes, Bolivian Rams (The other Rams are more sensative).

I wouldn't go for a Firemouth, a pair of these would need a 55 gallon minimum.

All Cichlids can be fiesty to say the least, most Dwarfs are peacefull, but do your research before buying, for example Kribs may not like to many tank mates, what other fish do you have (Numbers and species will help) ?

Bob
fishy me
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hard water was because I do have very hard water and I didn't feel like using RO water. I already have a stocking plan in mind but I came across a nice cichlid that could get along female bettas, guppies,and neon tetras then I might as well...By the way, do kribs like hard water?
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done some research and apparently Kribs will be alright in soft or hard water, but do best in hard water.
So it looks like your in luck Very Happy
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: